Best value used DSLR for microscope

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I use a Canon 500D, but have also used the 550D. The 550D tended to close down if on live view for long periods (thermal cut-out?) whereas my 500D does not and may be used for extended periods on live view.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

The more I look at Canon the more I'm appreciating the usefulness of tethering to the PC. Were the advances of the 550D over the 500D worth the bit of extra money (It looks like maybe only $30 on ebay) and the hassle of it shutting down?

Thanks for the advice,
Michael
gpmatthews wrote:I use a Canon 500D, but have also used the 550D. The 550D tended to close down if on live view for long periods (thermal cut-out?) whereas my 500D does not and may be used for extended periods on live view.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

My main studio camera has been the T2i/550D for several years, and I have never had it thermally shut down on me.

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

MichaelBrock wrote:the hassle of it shutting down?
Hi Michael,

LiveView shooting will end automatically after 30 min. That's rarely a problem. You can extend that by installing Magic Lantern software http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq but you would loose the biggest advantage of the EOS, being able to operate it from a computer.

At room temperature, my 500D records video for 30 min (as far as I remember); when I start it again right away, it records for another 30 min or so before it shuts down to prevent overheating.

To prevent overheating, you can physically cool the camera and extend the time until shutdown.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Don't forget there is a legal restriction of 29m 59s on the length of video recording by cameras sold in EU countries. Your shut-downs may have nothing to do with heat build-up.

JH

Post by JH »

I can recomend using a power supply instead of a battery.

I use Canon 6D and 5D II with a power supply instead of a battery, Canon EOS utility, Zerene stacker and a stackshot controller. I realy like this combination.

The only advatage with the 5D II is that with Canon EOS utility I can white balance a test shot with flash and have a more or less perfect WB for jpg:s even if I use a diffuser that is not perfect in colour.

Best regards Jörgen Hellberg
Jörgen Hellberg, my webbsite www.hellberg.photo

MichaelBrock

Post by MichaelBrock »

A canon 500D just popped up on Ebay at a price I can live with. Now I'm off to piece together the "intermediate" bits.

Thank you for all of the advice!

Mike

gaconsooner

Post by gaconsooner »

I'm using Canon 1300D connected to Ipad through camera-built-in wifi
It's much easier to control from Ipad and the Ipad view provides better colorization than my old LCD screen

There are two disadvantages with my current 1300D
1. Wifi connection does drain battery so fast; that's why I need two back up battery
2. The White Balance option sucks so much; it does not give me customer temperature selection

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic