Menthol sunset

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Menthol sunset

Post by Charles Krebs »

A little while ago Cactusdave showed some excellent crystal shots, one of which was menthol. I had never tried that substance before so I picked up a small package. I'll need to experiment a little more... the results were very different than Daves. These shots were taken with basic crossed polarizers (no phase plates). The slides were simple to make... a small amount melted on a slide with no cover slip. (The first one reminded me of a sunset over the ocean... hence the title name :) )

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Great shots, as always, Charles. I also purchased some menthol after seeing Cactus Dave's post. It looks like a great subject.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

:D Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

micro_pix

Post by micro_pix »

Great textures and colour.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

One of the great things about crystallisation is that it seldom happens the same way twice, even with the same chemical and (seemingly) the same conditions. When we played with menthol we noticed that the speed of cooling affected the type of crystals formed and that the crystals did not remain static in appearance over time, even after crystallisation was complete. Larger crystals reorganised into smaller more needle shaped crystals over a matter of hours or days. Interesting results were also had by only partially remelting a slide, so that a few patches of 'old' crystals were available to seed the new crystallisation.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

vasselle

Post by vasselle »

Superbes images
Microscope Leitz Laborlux K
Boitier EOS 1200d

neurodoc

Post by neurodoc »

The first image makes me think of van Gogh... a really beautiful example of what is sometimes called "found" art, i.e., something found in nature, or even something man made but never intended as such, resembles artwork. Of course you did have to select the image and frame it, which IS an artistic act...

Bravo!

--and the fact it's done with menthol seems appropriate...I think van Gogh was an absinthe drinker...not menthol but similarly aromatic!
Man sieht nur, was man weiss--Goethe

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Very nice images, especially the first one.

Marek

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Super

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic