For the grandchildren?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

For the grandchildren?

Post by ChrisR »

£20 microscope, with battery illumination.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/celestron-op ... -kit-a73uk
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

I don't think so, at least if you want them loving Microscopy. My opinion is that they are so useless that they can prevent future use of microscopes.

At the high school lab we have a pair of this kind of toy microscopes, so ridiculously bad that I used them as (joke) penalization for the students that didn't follow the rules on how to use and care the true microscopes.
Pau

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Pau wrote:At the high school lab we have a pair of this kind of toy microscopes, so ridiculously bad that I used them as (joke) penalization for the students that didn't follow the rules on how to use and care the true microscopes.
I like that idea very much :D

lothman

Post by lothman »

I was curious and bought one of the child bino microscopes

https://www.amazon.com/AMSCOPE-KIDS-SE1 ... B005C6HK00

it is really very good in its limitations and much more fun to use and look on insects. I got it under a German brand name Bresser. But you can find it on aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 42471.html

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

It is better than no microscope. And you can use it as portable field scope, if it is mainly plastic and light weight. That is how I use my AmScope plastic scopes.

It also depends on how old your grandchildren are.
For primary school age, a dissecting scope is better.
For high school age, they should be able to enjoy a better compound scope.

You also want to know what their subject of interest is and that may determine the scope type. Do they want to see single cell protists, or insects/minerals?
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I agree that low power is the way to go with young kids. It would be nice to have a low power (10X to 30X) monocular scope. My experience has been that with stereo scopes the trickiest part is getting the kids to use a proper interpupillary settings, and for some reason they always seem to reach up and try to focus using the focusable eyepiece (thus messing up the focus between the two eyepieces). If you've got more than one kid using it you can be guaranteed that you will need to regularly monitor and reset binocular eyepiece settings.

In some respects I have actually had better luck with a basic monocular "compound scope" with a 4X objective.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I found two of these on eBay for my grandkids. They should clean up nicely and I have a condenser for one of them. Only paid $39.00 for everything plus shipping of course. I realize they're not complete.

Olympusman

For the grandkids

Post by Olympusman »

I buy fine old microscopes to restore at www.shopgoodwill.com
Use the search term "microscope" You will be surprised at what is available. A few years ago I got a very nice Bausch&Lomb at a Goodwill store for $24.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic