I need help in identification of this structure

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marek Mis

I need help in identification of this structure

Post by Marek Mis »

I found such strange structures inside Spirogyra filaments and I do not know what it is. So, if there is anybody who could help me I will be very grateful :)

Marek

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Could it be a diploid zygospore, as here?
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

All Spirogyra zygospores I've seen are oval and green because they retain the chloroplasts although without the spiral shape. No idea, but could it be an amoeba inside the cell?
Pau

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Pau wrote:All Spirogyra zygospores I've seen are oval and green because they retain the chloroplasts although without the spiral shape. No idea, but could it be an amoeba inside the cell?
No, it is not any amoeba. It did not move at all and it was connected to the Spirogyra cell walls. I could see it in many Spirogyra filaments.

Marek

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Gamete? conjugation process?

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Hi Marek,

I'm not an expert but (famous last words :) )..was thinking about an animal structure, if it would be vegetable I'd expected the cell walls to be thicker.
Given the size it MIGHT be an animal lifeform in one of its first stages, still growing and developing. The fact that you found more of these in your sample, that they are clearly attached to the algae and they are not showing any movement, do not contradict this. Maybe you could keep it for a while and see what happens.

Something else:
CONGRATULATIONS with your 16th place in this years small world photomicrography contest,I cannot remember this one from the forum but it shows a creative, refreshing approach: Well done :D !

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Thank you Carlos !
WalterD wrote:Hi Marek,

I'm not an expert but (famous last words :) )..was thinking about an animal structure, if it would be vegetable I'd expected the cell walls to be thicker.
Given the size it MIGHT be an animal lifeform in one of its first stages, still growing and developing. The fact that you found more of these in your sample, that they are clearly attached to the algae and they are not showing any movement, do not contradict this. Maybe you could keep it for a while and see what happens.

Something else:
CONGRATULATIONS with your 16th place in this years small world photomicrography contest,I cannot remember this one from the forum but it shows a creative, refreshing approach: Well done :D !
I took this image a relatively long time ago so unfortunately I do not have this subject yet. I will try to find it next year :)
Thank you for your kind words about my achiewment in NSW.

Marek

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic