Upgrades & repairs

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Upgrades & repairs

Post by gpmatthews »

I am part way through a programme of updates & repairs. My Zeiss Standard GFL is still troubled by fine focus problems, probably due to a worn geared plate (this is a segment of a circle, probably about a sixth - a sextant, with teeth cut along the perimeter) and my dad is investigating this. He has already cut a new pinion and replaced it in the fine focus gearing. He says it makes a change to clocks and watches, his usual hobby.

Meantime, I have decided that I want to upgrade my Zeiss Standard 16 to be my workhorse instrument, and the refurbished GFL would be used as a simple lightweight brightfield instrument. The first step in the Standard 16 upgrade is to get a new camera, with more megapixels, but more importantly that is faster in response and will take higher definition movies than my now elderly Canon Powershot S50. I have settled on the Canon Powershot G9, which can use the same Breeze Systems software to control it, but was unable to improvise my own adapter because it required more than just mechanical fitting and needed some optical components. I wasn't able to construct anything with acceptable optical aberrations and finally settled upon a Zarf Enterprises adapter. The picture shows the current setup:

My next step is to fit the Standard 16 with Leitz ICT (differential interference contrast) optics. To do this, I need to rebuild the Zeiss substage and for this I have a replacement condenser mounting ring coming, purchased on eBay. This will need milling out to take the larger diameter Leitz condenser and also needs some other modifications to make room for the condenser adjustment controls.

While I wait for this to be completed, I am without DIC capability, as it was previously fitted to my Standard GFL, but can at least now use the Standard 16 for other illumination techniques.

I hope to be able to report further when the next phase of modifications is complete.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Graham--Your microscope stuff is impressive, but doesn't have much I know anything about. What I am curious about is the old photo of a fellow who looks like he is in military uniform hanging on the wall. Why is he in a place of honor? Relative of yours? I'll bet that's not what you expected to be asked about!

I haven't a whit of advice or comment on your setup other than it looks quite impressive! :roll:
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Mike - the photo is of my Great Uncle Enoch ("Nock"). I ever met him. He was in the Royal Artillery and died in WW1. Apparently his trench collapsed in an artillery barrage. I remember my grandmother speaking of him. My family still has the letter from his CO.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic