Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else

Post by davholla »

I have had a quote of £460+VAT to repair my lens or £530+vat - Repair and Full Service.
(I am looking for another quote for any Americans that is USD 848).
However I thought should I look for an alternative as well whilst waiting for my lens to come back from the company that gave me this large quote, as it is quite heavy to use, worse than my Tamron 150-600 lens and I have shoulder problems which make this to be a pain.

I found this website http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ (created by a forum resident)
I have this lens and with a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 plus an adapter I could get very good magnification 5.05:1 and with a longer working distance than my MPE65.
However I think there is a flaw with my calculations, any ideas? If it were that easy and cheap everything would have done it.
I have masses of photos to look through from my Colombia trip so there is no real urgency, saying that I love it. I googled this combination but no joy.

If anyone has a really clever alternative, please let me know.

johan

Post by johan »

I know MPE is all metal, but I do suspect that your combo might be a bit heavier and somewhat more awkward to use. And in terms of image quality and resolution, I do have to give the nod to MPE - a Raynox adapter is a perfectly good budget alternative, but that's what it is, a budget alternative.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

davholla

Post by davholla »

johan wrote:I know MPE is all metal, but I do suspect that your combo might be a bit heavier and somewhat more awkward to use. And in terms of image quality and resolution, I do have to give the nod to MPE - a Raynox adapter is a perfectly good budget alternative, but that's what it is, a budget alternative.
I think you are right. BTW what happened to your MPE alternative? An interesting idea although for me a bit tricky to do.

johan

Post by johan »

Still there, left it on the site for other people that might want to play with a cheap low cost alternative. Again it's a low cost alternative - not as good as the real thing. So when I finally got the real thing I stopped using it. But others seemed to have made something of it so it's all good :).

To be honest I havent done much in the last couple of years - lots of stress at work, too much going on rl redundant TWICE in 6 months). But I think things are ok now, we've also moved into a new house which gives me some acreage and a photo studio so I hope to be doing a bit more next year :)
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

davholla

Post by davholla »

johan wrote:Still there, left it on the site for other people that might want to play with a cheap low cost alternative. Again it's a low cost alternative - not as good as the real thing. So when I finally got the real thing I stopped using it. But others seemed to have made something of it so it's all good :).

To be honest I havent done much in the last couple of years - lots of stress at work, too much going on rl redundant TWICE in 6 months). But I think things are ok now, we've also moved into a new house which gives me some acreage and a photo studio so I hope to be doing a bit more next year :)
That is stressful - I saw your home on the pond forum btw.
You should get lots of insects there, no need to ever leave the garden again.

ray_parkhurst

Re: Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else

Post by ray_parkhurst »

davholla wrote:I have had a quote of £460+VAT to repair my lens or £530+vat - Repair and Full Service.
(I am looking for another quote for any Americans that is USD 848).
However I thought should I look for an alternative as well whilst waiting for my lens to come back from the company that gave me this large quote, as it is quite heavy to use, worse than my Tamron 150-600 lens and I have shoulder problems which make this to be a pain.

I found this website http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ (created by a forum resident)
I have this lens and with a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 plus an adapter I could get very good magnification 5.05:1 and with a longer working distance than my MPE65.
However I think there is a flaw with my calculations, any ideas? If it were that easy and cheap everything would have done it.
I have masses of photos to look through from my Colombia trip so there is no real urgency, saying that I love it. I googled this combination but no joy.

If anyone has a really clever alternative, please let me know.
Hi davholla...what went so horribly wrong with the MPE65? That's an enormous repair bill, more than it would cost to buy a good used one.

davholla

Re: Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else

Post by davholla »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
Hi davholla...what went so horribly wrong with the MPE65? That's an enormous repair bill, more than it would cost to buy a good used one.
It has an error 1 - problems with the contact but I think it can be fixed for cheaper.

davholla

Post by davholla »

Thanks all for that. I have now 2 quotes

1) £120 all in

2) £85 labour (at least) plus vat plus parts

I think (1) is going to be cheaper

johan

Post by johan »

Much better :)

And yes thank you, the new home is my idea of heaven!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic