Using reflected light instead of diffusers...???.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Using reflected light instead of diffusers...???.

Post by Yawns »

Does anyone know something about using reflected light, rather than diffusers?

I did a few Google searches but I can’t find anything myself ... so if any of you could direct me for some links about the subject I would be grateful.

A couple of years ago when I was starting to photostack I remember a friend showing me a link to an article.. I just remember a picture of an olman using white cards to bounce a couple of times the light from the flashes , before the light got to the insect. If I remember well he was photographing for a scientific paper… since then I only saw people using conical, cylindrical diffusers around the insect .. milk bottles, ping-pong balls whatever …

Last weekend I started to experiment, figuring it myself, basically using 2 panels between the lens and the subject and a little piece of card / scenario to prevent the flash to hit the lens directly …
I got so pleased with the results I would like to learn and explore more, but I’m not finding anything relevant in the web…

With the simple layout I am using, I am getting well distributed light allover the subject, a lot of light underneath the insect and I am doing with only one flash (at just 1/64) what I was doing before with 3 … ?

Here a few examples and ilustrations…

4X

4X

10X

Please share some links for reflected light techniques ...if you have them .. I would like to explore other possibilities and learn more about it (the shortest way ? ) .. experimenting is fun but takes a load of time and I’m not retired yet ?…

Thank you,
António
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic