The Perfect Test Target

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Usually there are several for sale on eBay, but I don't see any right now, and none sold recently.

Here is a sold link to a 20MP, showing the box. There are a couple of these for sale so you can see how they are described and what they look like. The 35mm is just a little bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-20mm-F3-5 ... SwaB5XsMlQ

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Smokedaddy wrote:Thanks, must be a rare pup, I see nothing on eBay, Fredmiranda, etc., even searching turns up very little. I see the Canon EF-S 35mm F2.8 IS STM Macro everywhere. O'well, no big deal.

-JW:
I remember a few months ago there were 5 of them for sale, so they are not rare. "Thousands" were made. The popular combo was a Auto Bellows FD, 20MP and 35MP, FD-EOS converter (no glass), and Angle Finder B.

Here's a nice resource with info on the 20MP and 35MP, and showing the full "kit":

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/co ... 5macro.htm

edited to add: I find it interesting that no 35MPs are for sale, yet several 105PNs are listed. There were only ~1100 105PNs made, but probably 5k or more of the MPs.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... excellent link. Dunno what I didn't go there before. Thanks.

lothman

Post by lothman »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Usually there are several for sale on eBay, but I don't see any right now, and none sold recently.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Canon-2-8-35-Lup ... sgk-ZE4_Vg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:Thanks, must be a rare pup, I see nothing on eBay, Fredmiranda, etc., even searching turns up very little. I see the Canon EF-S 35mm F2.8 IS STM Macro everywhere. O'well, no big deal.

-JW:
Let me check.

You are right. No Canon 35mm macrophoto lenses on Ebay.

One MP35 sold on Sept 18 for $350. There are three 20mm macrophoto lenses for around $200+

If you can wait, sometimes you can pick them up in a package with a old Canon bellows. These go for low low prices. I have two sets of 20 and 35mm that I picked up this way.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:

-JW:
Let me check.

You are right. No Canon 35mm macrophoto lenses on Ebay.

One MP35 sold on Sept 18 for $350. There are three 20mm macrophoto lenses for around $200+

If you can wait, sometimes you can pick them up in a package with a old Canon bellows. These go for low low prices. I have two sets of 20 and 35mm that I picked up this way.

Robert
That's exactly how I got my 20MP, with my first Canon FD bellows.

I do see the link Lothar gave, for eBay Germany. This makes me wonder what other items I'm missing out on because they are not on eBay US. Austrokiwi often sends links to EU eBay sites that I miss as well. I thought this would usually be picked up by the "International sellers" links at the end of the search, but the one from Lothar did not show up. It might be a setting the seller must make or something.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
I do see the link Lothar gave, for eBay Germany. This makes me wonder what other items I'm missing out on because they are not on eBay US. Austrokiwi often sends links to EU eBay sites that I miss as well. I thought this would usually be picked up by the "International sellers" links at the end of the search, but the one from Lothar did not show up. It might be a setting the seller must make or something.
Yes Ray true, if the seller has 'Germany only' settings you wont see it on your Ebay search. But if you go into private or incognito browser mode you can see them all. You can pay to have a German shipping address, they are called trans-shippers or 3rd party shippers but sometimes this way you get stuck paying 25% VAT on top of the exchange fee loss.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:......This makes me wonder what other items I'm missing out on because they are not on eBay US.....

A few years ago I emailed the author of that Nikkor red-book site, the one with all the rare industrial Nikkors, asking where does he find all his rare glass. He wrote back and told me that he gets most of his gear on Ebay USA and sometimes from the EU through Ebay USA. He explained that 90% of world's supply of industrial Nikkor stuff went to Los Angeles film industry and Hi-Tech firms in CA in the 60s and 70s. I was surprised when I read that at the time but it makes sense.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:
ray_parkhurst wrote:......This makes me wonder what other items I'm missing out on because they are not on eBay US.....

A few years ago I emailed the author of that Nikkor red-book site, the one with all the rare industrial Nikkors, asking where does he find all his rare glass. He wrote back and told me that he gets most of his gear on Ebay USA and sometimes from the EU through Ebay USA. He explained that 90% of world's supply of industrial Nikkor stuff went to Los Angeles film industry and Hi-Tech firms in CA in the 60s and 70s. I was surprised when I read that at the time but it makes sense.

Robert
The group of 105PNs I bought came from a closed IBM facility in San Jose. They were used on an early line scan PCB assembly inspection line.

The group of 89PE's I bought came from a Hollywood film transfer machine company. They were cleaning out some old inventory and found a group of NOS lenses purchased in the 60's that were intended for duplicators, but were never issued.

I've tried to buy 95PNs, 105PNs, and 150PNs from several companies in Hollywood and Santa Clarita, though I have not been very successful at getting a reasonable price.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Returning to the topic of p2 and 3 of this thread, I just found a cheap Soviet wafer-lithography lens on eBay, whose seller probably knows nothing about it. The description says "Presented lens used for special shootings at criminal policy and for special machines which used in hard rocks (gabbro-diabase) cutting." The latter part may be due to mistranslation of a Russian label mentioning photolithography (which even in English literally means "engraving stone with light")? The description said it is an f5 lens, misreading the label for the magnification, 1:5, typical of wafer lithography lenses. He also thought that the label "546nm" meant it had a yellow filter, when of course it is actually the mercury line that the lens is designed for. I had been looking for one of these lenses optimized for yellow-green without success; most of the available ones are optimized for 436nm or UV. The ones that are optimized for yellow-green may not require de-Bayered sensors, while ones optimized for 436nm would only use 1/4 of a Bayer sensor's pixels and would work best with a de-Bayered sensor. The sale price for this lens was $111, a bargain compared to the many thousands that an Ultra-Micro-Nikkor would cost. Of course it could be trash. But it will be fun to test.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Returning to the topic of p2 and 3 of this thread, I just found a cheap Soviet wafer-lithography lens on eBay, whose seller probably knows nothing about it. The description says "Presented lens used for special shootings at criminal policy and for special machines which used in hard rocks (gabbro-diabase) cutting." The latter part may be due to mistranslation of a Russian label mentioning photolithography (which even in English literally means "engraving stone with light")? The description said it is an f5 lens, misreading the label for the magnification, 1:5, typical of wafer lithography lenses. He also thought that the label "546nm" meant it had a yellow filter, when of course it is actually the mercury line that the lens is designed for. I had been looking for one of these lenses optimized for yellow-green without success; most of the available ones are optimized for 436nm or UV. The ones that are optimized for yellow-green may not require de-Bayered sensors, while ones optimized for 436nm would only use 1/4 of a Bayer sensor's pixels and would work best with a de-Bayered sensor. The sale price for this lens was $111, a bargain compared to the many thousands that an Ultra-Micro-Nikkor would cost. Of course it could be trash. But it will be fun to test.
Keep us updated and post some pictures of the lens and results when you finally get the lens Lou.

Sounds interesting.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'll do that Robert. I have some other really interesting lenses waiting for me there which might be gems, and which I suspect few or none of us have ever seen before. I go back to the US on Oct 10 to visit my family and will pick up this load then. I will be close to the baggage weight limit when I bring back this loot--some of these are 20 pound lenses...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic