I've Got My Wemacro Working... I Think.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

I've Got My Wemacro Working... I Think.

Post by Deanimator »

I started working on the Wemacro around 1:00pm this afternoon.

I got everything hooked up... then nothing.

I disconnected and reconnected everything, but nothing happened.

Halfway through troubleshooting, the power went off for 45 minutes! I felt like I was back at Camp Howze, Korea!

When the power came back on, I finally ended up uninstalling DSLR Controller and uninstalling and reinstalling the Wemacro Android app.

I was then able to get the rail to respond to forward and backward commands.

It took me a couple of tries to figure out the controls.

I'm in the middle of about a 50 minute stack of a rule, just to confirm that focus is changing properly.

I obviously can't use the tablet for focus, but I can use live view on the camera screen, and so far, that's been good enough.

It seems like a good product once you get used to it, and expect to get some really good images eventually, especially with non-autofocus lenses and tubes/bellows.

Thanks to everybody who recommended the Wemacro and provided assistance getting it set up.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I got a good stack.

Can anybody tell what magnification this is? Shot with a Canon T4i with a 100mm Tokina macro.

Uncropped:

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I just did another stack, to test the flashes.

Since the Wemacro doesn't use live view, the flashes worked just fine. I was able to use live view on the camera to set the focus, then exit from it before I started the stack.

The pictures were over-exposed, but I was far more concerned with whether the flashes would trigger at all, not about the quality of the images. I didn't even bother with any sort of diffusion.

So far, this is working out quite well.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Deanimator wrote:Can anybody tell what magnification this is? Shot with a Canon T4i with a 100mm Tokina macro.
It's not possible to tell the exact magnification from just what is shown in the image. The normal marks on the ruler don't work because the ruler is tipped away from the plane of focus. Each tick mark is in the plane of focus, so if you knew the lengths of those, calculating the magnification would be straightforward.

But simplest of all would be to just take another picture, with the ruler re-positioned so that it measures in the plane of focus, then calculate magnification as width of sensor divided by width of subject frame.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic