A Vaginicola leaves a home and builds a new one

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

billporter1456

I can't spell!

Post by billporter1456 »

I deleted both of the Vaginicola videos when someone pointed out that the word, "Vaginicola" was misspelled on both title screens. How the hell could I have missed THAT??? Oh well, they will be corrected and back online tomorrow.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

A non-photography question, but I'm curious about the biology...

What material is the lorica made of?

--Rik

billporter1456

Post by billporter1456 »

rjlittlefield wrote:A non-photography question, but I'm curious about the biology...

What material is the lorica made of?

--Rik
I found a dissertation by Warren (1983) that has some information about this. Give me until tomorrow to look through it.

Update (9/14): Since this publication is over 30 years old and I'm sure there are more recent studies, but I did find this on pages 195-196: "Stiller (1971) described the peritrich lorica as being pseudochitinous while Sleigh (1973) suggested that it is probably a proteinaceous or mucopolysaccharide secretion. That the lorica in pllatycola was found to be unresponsive to cytochemical stains parallels the situation found in the testate amoeba Arcell. a when, in an extensive analysis of the test, it was found that most stains gave a negetive result (Moraczewski, 1971a). The test eventually gave a positive reaction using the Acetylated-PAS and Peracetic Acid-Schiff reagents, indicating that this structure has carbohydrate and lipid components. It is possible that more than one organic compound is present in the lorica of Platycola, bound intimately together in such away as to prevent normal staining reactions (Neff & Neff, 1969). Certainly the results of geoscan energy dispersive analysis indicate that a high proportion (perhaps 80%) of the lorica could be organic in nature. Similarly, Gonzalez (1979) reported the presence of a high protein content for the lorica of Thuricola folliculata. Further evidence of this high organic content is su6, gested by the fibrous nature of the lorica as revealed by Tj: TM. This arrangement, which also occurs in Thuricola (Gonzalez 1979), is typical of proteinaceous and mucopolysaccharide materials (Moraczewski, 1971a)."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic