Butterfly scale slides

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

boomblurt

Butterfly scale slides

Post by boomblurt »

I've seen some (mostly antique) arrangements of butterfly scales around the web, and am curious about the details of how they are made.

What's a good fixative and/or mounting media to make a permanent slide? And would the process be different if the colours are due to iridescence?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Geoff

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Butterfly scales can be mounted in pretty much any standard mountant - Canada Balsam, DPX, even high RI ones like zrax. Just dust some scales onto a slide, cover with a drop of mountant, add a coverslip and dry as appropriate for the mountant.

However, iridescence will disappear if the scales are immersed in mountant. To preserve that, it's best to cut out a small section of the wing and make a dry mount with it instead.

If you're particularly keen, you could try arranging individual scales on a thin substrate of something like tragacanth and make dry mounts that way instead. That's on my "wannado" list too as I'd really like to try replicating the work of Henry "Harold" Dalton (one day). Amazing work! http://www.mjt.org/exhibits/dalton/daltonimage.html

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

Thanks Beatsy!

Henry Dalton's works got me thinking about this - quite remarkable. And I see Klaus Kemp has some arranged slides that show scales with iridescence and I guessed them to be some type of dry mount.
Geoff

Olympusman

Wing scale slides

Post by Olympusman »

The main reason butterfly and moths are so colorful is because of iridescence. Mounting in a liquid medium cancels the refraction effects of the surface of the scales that provides the color of the insect.
As Beatsy said, a dry mount is a good ( if not the best) way to preserve a wing for wing scale photography.
Once I have sepataed the wing from the carcass, I put a small drop of mountant (Canadian Balsam- whatever) on the slide to glue the thorax end of the wing to the slide. Then I put down dots of the same mountant at positions where the glass cover slip will go, position the cover slip over the wing on the slide and press lightly with the rounded back end of the tweezers to flatten the mount.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic