Nikon Diaphot TMD ELWD 0.3 condenser

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

Nikon Diaphot TMD ELWD 0.3 condenser

Post by mtuell »

I've had a 0.3 condenser for a while now, but realized that it was missing the PhL annulus. Recently I got another one that included the (easily removable for brightfield) PhL. I've got a 4x PhL DL objective.

Finally getting around to trying it, the Ph3 lines up with the 40x Ph3 (with reduced NA, of course), the Ph2 lines up with the 20x Ph2, and the Ph1 lines up with the 10x Ph1. With the Bertrand lens in place, the PhL aperture is just smaller than the inside edge of the PhL objective annulus.... By lowering the condenser from optimal position (with the field diaphragm in sharp focus at the same time as the image), it gets closer to being in the objective annulus, but doesn't get there.

Something seems not quite right here... does anybody have experience with the 4x PhL successfully matching the PhL annulus on the 0.3 condenser? It seems like it should be a slam dunk. :evil: Engraved on the removable aperture is "ME2 PhL".

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike

Photomicro

Post by Photomicro »

Hi Mike, after all the help you have given, upon reading this, I turned straight round to the microscope. My annuli are spot on, just the same as my x10 and x20 (I don't have a x40). Indeed, since I have two 4x PhL DL objectives, I tried them both, and both behave the same.

My removal aperture has engraved the following;

'ME2' at 12 'o' clock, and 'PhL2' at six 'o' clock.

This isn't quite what you put, so am wondering if this is the reason.

Hope this helps.

Mike

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Ah, thank you Mike!

I think I have a clue about what's going on now.

I'm guessing that you also have a PhL 0.13, which matches the PhL2, but my guess is that the PhL aperture is actually for the older PhL 0.10 objectives!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Plan-4x-0 ... 1668341914

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Plan-4x-0 ... 1802745518

Dang it! So close, yet so far! :(

I also just noticed that using the LWD 0.52 condenser, the PhL aperture does line up with the 0.13 PhL objective, so I guess it is a PhL2 aperture in reality. Oddly, though, with the condenser set at the correct distance, while it is the correct size, it doesn't focus in the Bertrand lens at the same place as the objective annulus. Strange...

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic