Photos from a Canon S120 compact camera

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DrHook

Post by DrHook »

Hi Rik,

Is it all right to insert the images from those links like that, or would you prefer I go through the forum uploader? Although those two images are at the size you state, when I tried to upload them from my laptop they were at 171KB and 285KB and still would not go through. It my be my machine, or course - it has strange manners and has never been right since a waitress threw a glass of water over it in a New York hotel lobby :( But just let me know and I'll try again if you'd rather I did so.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The problem with hot-linking from Flickr is only that at some point in the future it's quite possible that either Flickr will change their policies so as to prevent hot-linking (as Photobucket recently did), or that your account will expire, be deleted, or become inaccessible.

If any of those things happen, then anyone viewing this thread at that time will see some sort of broken-image icon.

We try to avoid that for threads with high likelihood of long term interest, such as most technical discussions.

Not so much concern for basic image displays.

--Rik

DrHook

Post by DrHook »

If Flickr ever asks me for money I'd probably pay though - I find it far nicer to use than PHBKT ever was. Plus with a bit of luck Flickr will charge a sensible price after seeing the can of worms that has been opened with PHBKT. But I hear you - and thanks for letting me know. I'll see if after an upgrade I can't use a newer machine to upload and we can forget my current machine's bizarre behaviour.

DrHook

Post by DrHook »

I've added a Raynox 250 to the mix now as well, so I now have four fixed focal lengths to play with. First attempts this afternoon in the garden seem to reinforce the fact that this is a great rig to hand-hold, the DOF that the Marumi gives to the Raynox's is still present with the greater magnification - even at f5.7.

The Raynox 250 has at last also solved the continuous dilemma I have had with
photographs where I have either had to crop an image, or zoom in while taking the picture using the digital zoom to achieve the framing needed; either solution creates or advertises the noise but the stack of the Marumi 200 + Raynox 250 + Raynox 150 gives me something pretty close to what I want to achieve, without the noise. I have also built a new rack for the two little LED torches, which also seems to have made a difference - letting me close down ISO while shooting a little faster.

I have at least a dozen different insects from my hour in the garden tonight of which I have tack-sharp shots, so for the $60 investment in the DCR-250 I am well chuffed.

This is a Marmalade hoverfly, Episyrphus balteatus

and this is a third instar Hawthorn shieldbug, Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale

shanas

Post by shanas »

excellent image

DrHook

Post by DrHook »

Thank you, Shanas! The little Canon even surprised me this time! Though mebbe more to do with the stacked lens...... it's bizarre how well it all works.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic