Moth Id help (Copper Underwing?)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Overread

Moth Id help (Copper Underwing?)

Post by Overread »

Some what late in the year but I've just started getting motivated to get my moth trap out and begin the process of actually learning more about moths other than just taking the odd photo of them. I've not done much ID work on insects so its a learning curve in learning body shape and if there are any good index/keys out there that can help speed up/improve accuracy.

I've got a copy of "Field Guide to Moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Waring et al" though at present its much a case of flipping through the images to find a similar appearing moth.

So first one for today and I believe this is a Copper Underwing (Amphipyra pyramidea)

(I'm aware this latter photo might not be of much help for ID purposes, but its there as its a darn good looking moth)

Any comments/critiques on the photography are also most welcome!
Taken with Canon 7D, Sigma 70mm macro, offcamera single flash through a lumiquest softbox.
I'm thinking for this kind of photography that a ringflash might be more suitable; but that's really a topic for another thread (least I try to cram too many topics into the same thread)

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

It sure looks like that to me.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Overread

Post by Overread »

My thanks Mark; always good to get confirmation from other moth enthusiasts/experts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic