ID help 2 (Yellow-line Quaker)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Overread

ID help 2 (Yellow-line Quaker)

Post by Overread »

I believe this is a Yellow-line Quaker (Agrochola macilenta)
The dark spot near the shoulder/body appears more apparent in the side photo than the above. If anyone can confirm or provide alternative ID it would be most helpful.

Any comments/critiques on the photography are also most welcome!
Taken with Canon 7D, Sigma 70mm macro, offcamera single flash through a lumiquest softbox.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nice shots - singles or a short stack?

The species seems to be pretty vartiable but all I found online have a definite dark spot in the middle of their wing. Hmm.
Chris R

Overread

Post by Overread »

All single shots. I've not done stacking for a long while and was shooting handheld for these so single shots at f13. I did muck around with one or two stacks, but was keeping things simple so even they were done at f13. I'll have to dig my tripod out and set it up again for focus stacking (then again I'll end up wanting a stackshot! )

Yes there's quite a bit of variety in this species it seems. The ID book I've got has two drawings for the species, one with the dark spot on the wing and another with a more muted example as the photo above has. It seems both are possible with the darker spot being the more common.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I think I've just tried the same book as you (Field Guide, Waring and Townsend?) which does indeed show a better match. :)
Chris R

Overread

Post by Overread »

Yep used the same book, must say that whilst I'm no expert its proving to be a very useful and clear resource to use!

Out of interest what other publications have you found of help when doing identifications? Or for general ecological information.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic