Alternatives to Jansjo Lamps?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Alternatives to Jansjo Lamps?

Post by Deanimator »

I looks like I've stumbled into an ugly situation vis a vis Amazon and the US Postal Service regarding my Jansjo lamps.

Amazon's website shows they were delivered yesterday (they weren't), while the USPS website indicates they were delivered to... nobody knows where.

On the [reasonable] assumption that:
  • they were stolen
  • they're going to be delivered when I'm not home and left in an unlocked vestibule, then stolen
  • they were just given away to some random person
Amazon has canceled the order and started the refund process.

If I never see them from Amazon, and for whatever reason elect not to purchase them direct from IKEA (shipping is a BEAR), is there anything that's an acceptable substitute that's reasonably priced and available in the U.S.?

If it weren't for the USPS, I'd be using them already. I'm very disappointed.

The days for outdoor macro, even in my limited environment, are slipping away fast. I want to get set up properly for decent indoor macro.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

They're more expensive, but I really like the Trond Halo flat-panel LED lamps. You can get ones with adjustable colour temperature but be prepared for mixed temps across the panel at mid-temperatures. I prefer the simple ones with single cool temp (around 6200K from memory) but I think they're discontinued now. The new selectable-temp ones are quite a bit brighter though (better diffusion panel). They can be used successfully without extra diffusion, especially if you get two or three, but the usual ping-pong ball diffuser still helps with particularly reflective subjects.

https://www.amazon.com/TROND-Halo-10W-T ... elamp08-20

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Beatsy wrote:They're more expensive, but I really like the Trond Halo flat-panel LED lamps.
Thanks.

johan

Post by johan »

Have you considered eBay instead of Amazon? I bought all mine through there. One thing - beware of the USB ones, they're not the right ones. Too weak. You need the bigger ones.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I bought the Tronde light some time ago thanks to Beatsy's recommendation. I like it very much. But it is also useful sometimes to have something like the Jansjo that can get closer to the subject when needed.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

The lamps weren't here when I got home and I don't expect to see them. No skin off my nose, Amazon is refunding the purchase.

I went online to order them again when I got home and discovered that Amazon was selling a two pack of them for a few bucks off. This time they'll be delivered to a friend's office.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

johan wrote:Have you considered eBay instead of Amazon? I bought all mine through there. One thing - beware of the USB ones, they're not the right ones. Too weak. You need the bigger ones.
I have Amazon Prime which gives me a lot more protection. If it was something small like a lens reverse ring, I wouldn't worry about it. Without Prime, this could have gone from a nuisance to a nightmare.

At this point, I don't care if the lamps ever show up here. I can just send them back if I want, or pay for them and have a better chance for two that match color temperatures.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

I got the replacement lamps this afternoon. They look good and bright and are certainly flexible enough. I'll try them out a little later tonight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic