CombineZP is available again

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

You can download the installer for CombineZP (an old but free stacking program) from the new website of Alan Hadley, the man who wrote it.

See the link at the bottom of this page:

http://micropics.org.uk/Czimps_web/Czimps.htm

Alan Wood

johan

Post by johan »

I've been in touch with Alan Hadley, and he's happy for me to host and distribute the last, latest copy - it's at a new downloads page - http://extreme-macro.co.uk/downloads/

if anyone has software or plugins that they'd like my site to also host via that new page, ping me a mail here or via the site

Thanks
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

It's nice to see that he's still around and developing the product.

I had some issues getting it [the previous version] working, but for somebody on a tight budget, just starting out in photostacking, it was a godsend.
Last edited by Deanimator on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Does it now run under Win7 64?
When I abandoned my beloved old WinXP 32 computer CZP was unable to run decently in the new system

Now I use Zerene but would be nice to have it again
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:Does it now run under Win7 64?
The specs I saw said that it would.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Thanks, I'll try when I was back to home in few weeks.
Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

CombineZP ran on my cheap $350 Win8 64 w/o problem.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

zzffnn wrote:CombineZP ran on my cheap $350 Win8 64 w/o problem.
There's a new version out which supposedly works with no problems.

I had a LOT of problems initially getting the old one to run under Win 10 64 bit. I had to tell it I had maybe 1/8th of my memory and one core. It was painfully slow, but never crashed once configured. I did a series of posts detailing step by step, as I did them, what procedures I had to follow to make it work. It took several days.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I know absolutely nothing about CombineZP or tweaking it for best output results but I gave it a shot a few minutes ago running Windows 10 on a i5. Optiphot Nomarski DIC focused on the 'width of the circumference" on the date number zero on a penny. No manipulation in Photoshop. I did notice it fogged up the top right of the frame but all I did was 'Do Stack', nothing else.

Last edited by Smokedaddy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

johan wrote:I've been in touch with Alan Hadley, and he's happy for me to host and distribute...
This may be the best news I've heard in weeks. The way Alan disappeared from view several years ago, I had feared the worst.

--Rik

pierre

Post by pierre »

Nice to see Alan's work on the road again.

Will give the new Czimps a try ;)
Regards

Pierre

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Smokedaddy wrote:I did notice it fogged up the top right of the frame but all I did was 'Do Stack', nothing else.
You need to cut the right side of the picture: notice the symmetrical repetition, something typical of CZ. It can be done with a key combination I don't remember now.
Pau

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote:I did notice it fogged up the top right of the frame but all I did was 'Do Stack', nothing else.
You need to cut the right side of the picture: notice the symmetrical repetition, something typical of CZ. It can be done with a key combination I don't remember now.
I always just cropped in post.

Also, I always did all of the techniques because there was almost always one that was better on a SPECIFIC image, and not in any [to me anyway] predictable way.

nucleobyte

Post by nucleobyte »

It seems to work quite well in the Wine environment under Linux. I downloaded and ran it under the current release of Wine for Fedora 26. The installer ran without error. On loading, the windows overlapped and needed moved around, but I was able to run an alignment and several stack methods and save the result without any errors.

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Johan,
You have 10 GB rather than 10 MB on your site for the file size :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic