Change of Background for stacked Macro images?

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NewForestTel

Change of Background for stacked Macro images?

Post by NewForestTel »

I think that I caused confusion with my last post because of my inexperience, so have deleted it and started again.
I have been practising stacked shots for some time and invariably use a white or black background. However I notice that the better images on this site have interesting and complimentary background colours which often enhances the image

I have tried the usual Photoshop CC methods of changing the background colour but it always turns out as though I had stacked the shots on an oil patch (ie rainbow colours)
I have attached an image of a horsefly to demonstrate the type of stacked image I want to amend.
Many thanks for any help you care to offerImage
Terry Turner

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

Hi

The following is what I do and does not apply to every scenario and
other users might even disagree...

For larger subjects, I place a colored card or something with a mottled
look to transfer that color/texture onto the stack. You can get creative
and angle the backdrop to create a gradient via tilting or angling.

You will find that some colors will not work with your subject and it is
a matter of design that you incorporate a color, as this is all part of
the artistic process.

You really want the background to be neutral and not take away the
eye of the viewer, where the background is over powering. I call
this "visual dissonance".

Checkout my recent post "Another Triceratops" for an example of
a gradient. The backdrop was a white card, tilted back at an angle
and simply allowed the light fall-off to create the effect.

Hope this helps you to start pondering and playing.

Mike

NewForestTel

Thanks

Post by NewForestTel »

Thanks Pizzazz
All advice is welcome and I will try your suggestions.
Thanks for responding
Terry Turner

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Terry, I interpreted your earlier post as asking how to replace the background in a stack that had already been shot.

That's a process that I personally do not recommend because it often ends up producing a result that looks odd at best.

The reason is that a real background will produce edges that are smoothly graded between the subject color and the background color. If you replace the background in postprocessing, it is very hard to get those same smooth gradations. Often the edge ends up being an awkward transition that starts shifting from subject to original background color, then changes direction partway through the transition so it can end up at the replaced color. The result is an edge that just does not look natural, even if you can't say exactly what is wrong with it.

There's a similar problem with reflections of the background on the subject near its edges. The horsefly shown here has white reflections near its edges. If it had been shot on say a blue background, those reflections would be bluish. Again, changing the background leaves a result that somehow looks wrong, even if you can't say exactly why.

Much better is to shoot with the desired background in the first place, or something that is at least close to the desired background in brightness and color. Sample chips from a paint store can be a fertile source of backgrounds. Printing your own on a color printer can also work, but be careful that they are never seen close to focused or the ink dots can show.

--Rik

Yawns

gradientes

Post by Yawns »

I ike black backgrounds, but when I want a bit of colour i use this simple thing..

2 bits of colourful card .. the lack of focus does a perfect blend and gradient.

playing with the distance makes the colour less intense and a softer blend

Image2017-08-15 #101 photos.j finalpg by Antonio Caseiro, on Flickr

if I want a radial gradient .. i just cut a small circle with an office punchole

Image2017-08-15 #89 photos final by Antonio Caseiro, on Flickr
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

NewForestTel

Rik and Yawns - Many thanks for your help and advice

Post by NewForestTel »

Rik
Yes you had interpreted my question correctly and it is good to know that Post Processing with "Replace Colours" or other Photoshop colour ch angling techniques is not the answer. I have seen very pleasing and artistic images on this site and wanted to know how it is done.
Yawns
Thanks for your reply together with very helpful images. I shall now try your techniques and hopefully feel confident enough to put some images on this site at a later date.
Thanks again
Terry
Terry Turner

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I somehow saw a professional "fashion" photographer/retoucher at work. He had all the original photographs taken using a background as near to 50% grey (the need /best grey, varies with colour spaces iirc) as possible.

Then you can use Blending modes in PS, so the pixels around the subject are slightly less saturated insterad of a strange colour, and nobody notices. Often the first "hit" at dropping a bg in was successful, or if not, minor local works on hair and the like, wasn't too hard.

A development of the technique to help withthe edgesis to get a selection boundary going round your subject, in as nearly as possible the "right place", then Stroke the Path (in the paths pallette) with the Desaturate tool.

The "Blending mode" is use is the one which makes "Color" win over "Grey". You still need a mask, with a narrowly feathered edge, but the colours are clean. Inevitably odd parts of your subject will have Grey contiguous with the background, but not many.
Chris R

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Yawns,

Great idea and nice images.

Best,

Mike

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Yawns,

That is a very good idea. Will check how I can implement that in my studio work.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

NewForestTel

Thanks to Chris R and Yawns

Post by NewForestTel »

Thanks Chris and Yawns
Sorry for the slow response, I have been out of circulation for a few days.
I am not a photoshop expert but am trying various techniques similar to your suggestions. I am also getting better results with the coloured backgrounds, as suggested by Yawns above, but there is still some colour contamination around the fine hairs on say a flies legs so maybe your PS suggestion will work on that. I have also posed the question to a Photoshop Guru so will report back if he resolves the issue.
Terry Turner

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

The other way to get backgrounds is to add gradients as layer in PS.

Unlike the Gradient tool, in gradient layer you can "move the gradient" as per your liking.

You can do this via Layer-New Fill Layer - Gradient.

Select your desired gradient position and color and do any masking required.

When the blend mode is set to Color, only the colors of the layer gradient will pass through which may or may not be the ultimate solution.

Ofcourse you can keep building the gradients in multiple layers and different blend modes to create a natural blended gradient look.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic