Greetings from Southern California

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

hero

Greetings from Southern California

Post by hero »

And so I find myself falling down the rabbit hole that is the seemingly never-ending quest for higher magnification.

I've been an amateur photographer for the last decade, starting off with a 5D Mark II and the standard kit lens. Now I find myself using things I never even considered as photographic equipment! The following is more or less a description of my journey to my present state of mind:

"Oh, I got a new DSLR but the kit lens can't do macro work. Gotta get a macro lens."
"Hmm, the macro lens is fun but now I need extra light. Gotta get a Speedlite."
"Hmm, the flash is great, photos are looking even better, but I wish I could get even more magnification."
"Those extension tubes are a pain...okay, time to get the MP-E."
"Okay the MP-E without the MT-24EX is almost useless...."
"I have no DOF at 5x, time to learn about stacking."
"Stacking handheld shots is making me lose my mind. Time to get a rail."
"Rail is awesome...but...I wonder what I could see at 10x?"

And now, without entirely understanding how I got to this point, I find myself contemplating purchasing expensive microscope objectives and all kinds of odd adapters (Raynox???) and IKEA lamps (do they have any idea who is buying those?). Even worse, I'm catching houseflies and spiders and admiring extremely detailed photos of tiny creatures. My friends think I have gotten "a bit weird lately." What has happened to me? Who I have become?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

What has happened to me? Who I have become?
Oh no, you have become one of us! There goes all your savings and your disposable income for the foreseeable future. But you'll be seeing weirder stuff than the most adventurous astronaut, at a tiny fraction of the price of a flight to an alien planet.

Harald

Re: Greetings from Southern California

Post by Harald »

Hi there hero,
Welcome to the great forum.
hero wrote: Even worse, I'm catching houseflies and spiders and admiring extremely detailed photos of tiny creatures.
I´m there myself, aint no cure for it after you been bit by this. The fascination of the small world. Seeing the unseen world.
You capture a 5mm fly, photograph it in 5x magnification and make an A3+ print out of it.....

Sorry my friend, but we are captured in a fascinating world :D
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Hi Hero. Welcome to the widest and deepest rabbit hole in the universe. A real life wonderland for sure! There's no going back now :D

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Welcome to the forum, hero.

Lou said it very well. The cost is not that much, considering that enables you to see/image the micro alien world around us.

You can easily get to a 40x metallurgical (no cover) microscope objective, when you view/image mineral micro-mounts, polarized chemical crystals, radiolaria, micro fossils, diatoms and pollens.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

hero wrote:And so I find myself falling down the rabbit hole that is the seemingly never-ending quest for higher magnification.....What has happened to me? Who I have become?
Don't worry, you aren't that bad at all.

What is bad?

I have a mint 100X mitutoyo APO lens sitting in a cabinet, I am not sure what I will even shoot at 100x!

I have 2 vertical columns and one horizontal set-up project that need pieces to be finished. They are just sitting.

Thats just my unused new equipment!

Robert

www.Closeuphotography.com
www.RobertOToole.com

BTW I live in So Cal also if ever want to share favorite macro spots.

hero

Post by hero »

RobertOToole wrote: Don't worry, you aren't that bad at all.

What is bad?

I have a mint 100X mitutoyo APO lens sitting in a cabinet, I am not sure what I will even shoot at 100x!
This both frightens and excites me. :shock:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Be frightened. Be very frightened.

I saw an unused Nikon XXx XXXX XXXX infinite objective at a very good price. Bought it quickly - bargain, yay! It sat on my desk for a few weeks, annoying me that I hadn't had a chance to try it. I thought I'd better put it in the right drawer so I could find it.
Then I found I already had one.

I saw an unused Nikon YYx XXXX XXXX infinite objective at a very good price. Bought it quickly - bargain, yay! It sat on my desk for a few weeks, annoying me that I hadn't had a chance to try it. I thought I'd better put it in the right drawer so I could find it.
Eventually I tried it. It was a dud. Too late to send it back.

Etc.
Chris R

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

ChrisR wrote:Be frightened. Be very frightened.

I saw an unused Nikon XXx XXXX XXXX infinite objective at a very good price. Bought it quickly - bargain, yay! It sat on my desk for a few weeks, annoying me that I hadn't had a chance to try it. I thought I'd better put it in the right drawer so I could find it.
Then I found I already had one.
And the one already there is a back up for a back up. That was why it was not remembered :twisted:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ChrisR wrote:
Then I found I already had one...
That made me laugh so hard my wife wanted to know what so funny, after explaining it, she didn't see the humor for some reason?

A good one?

Someone asked me about velmex unislides, I often pick them up for XY stages when I see bargain on Ebay, so I had to look for a certain slide, then I realized, I have 13 unislides, and thats after selling Chris R one! No photographer needs 13 unslides.

Another good one?

I was on the only bidder on an Ebay auction a few months ago. I won a re-badged Nikon MM-11 base and column for $50 so I drove 700+ miles round trip to pick it up. When I get there my wife sees it and asks, dont you have one of the same thing already? I informed her, no, honey this one is a Zygo, the other one is a Nikon. They are exactly the same except for the name badge. The Zygo hasnt been touched since we got back home in May. :-)

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

You guys have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). But we outdoorsey hand-held macro folks are probably not much better.
I have not duplicated any purchases (yet), but I do have a Wish List in Amazon that runs for several pages.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

MarkSturtevant wrote:You guys have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). But we outdoorsey hand-held macro folks are probably not much better.
I have not duplicated any purchases (yet), but I do have a Wish List in Amazon that runs for several pages.
Hi Mark,

The real dangerous one for me, and I am sure lots of others is Ebay saved search list with notifications enabled.

I just picked up another Scanner-Nikkor lens thanks to Ebay, but after that I am done, no more Ebay for me :-)

Hand-held macro with flash is my favorite BTW!

Robert

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

RobertOToole wrote: The real dangerous one for me, and I am sure lots of others is Ebay saved search list with notifications enabled.
Robert
Definitely! I can't resist those notifications of "neat stuff I *might* have a use for". It's why I have a cupboard full of exquisitely engineered gizmos that are of little practical use in my day-to-day activities. At least they were cheap, and their parts often save the day when "re-purposed". But they are soooo well engineered - it's a guilty pleasure to just sit and fondle them sometimes :)

This is my most recent acquisition which arrived a couple of days ago. A micro-injector that popped up in a saved search notification. I figured I could use one in conjunction with a (spare) micro-manipulator to select and isolate individual critters from pond water samples. Only £20. Truth is, I can already collect critters perfectly well by hand using a stereo microscope and a fine-tipped pipette, though the smallest can be troublesome. However, where some may see only a micro-injector, I also see a glass syringe, a Narishige magnetic base and a very fine threaded drive. All could be handy components in their own right. At some point... Maybe...

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Beatsy wrote:
Nice find Beatsy.

A similar good quality magnetic base is worth about that much alone.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beatsy, I hope you have a big house...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic