Ballhead

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroLens

Ballhead

Post by MacroLens »

I am going down to Dodd Camera here in Cincinnati tomorrow to look over the Gitzo, Manfrotto, and FLM ballheads they have in stock. The lady I spoke to sounded confident she could get me something for macro that I would like between $200.00 and $300.00. If not, I will order the Arcatech online.

I know Gitzo and Manfrotto get some pretty good reviews from everywhere but they also have their detractors. I cannot find much information on FLM other than a couple of internet reviews which rave about it not creeping. Any member's have some recommendations or even a model I need to stay away from for what ever reason?

And so you know its use, I will be using this more outdoors than indoors. My camera is a Pentax K1 with a D FA 100mm macro lens. The weight of the camera with lens is under three pounds. My tripod is the Berlebach Mini Large which is rated up to 11 pounds.

I want to put the ballhead on my tripod and see how I like it before shelling out the money if possible. 200.00 to 350.00 with a plate is my budget. I would love to be able to spend more but my finances right now will not allow it. Any thoughts?

Saul

Post by Saul »

Saul
μ-stuff

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

I bought the 410 Junior. ChrisR also mentioned he had one in another post. I tried a Gitzo, Arca-Swiss, and FLM that were about 50.00 to 100.00 more with Dodd's price match policy; but have to tell you I like the Junior more. Money was not the problem as three fell in my 350.00 or less category. The Arca Swiss was 380.00. I tried all four at the store mounted on my tripod with camera. Service was great and the young lady definitely had a lot of patience with me.

I like the apparent precision and the quick release is easy enough and feels secure. Its the heaviest by a good pound but with my tripod only weighing two pounds, I should still be able to manage carrying it without any problems. I am still well under the tripods 11 pound limit with camera, lens, and head coming in under 6 pounds. I think this is going to work out, now I just need to get out and shoot!

Saul

Post by Saul »

MacroLens wrote: I bought the 410 Junior...!
You'll not regret :)
Its the heaviest by a good pound but with my tripod only weighing two pounds...
Setup should be heavy ;)
I think this is going to work out, now I just need to get out and shoot!
I wish you best luck in the macrophotohunting, spend more time on it and have less mosquitoes !
And be very careful where are you sitting - couple years ago I had a horrible "baboon's butt" because of some poisonous grass, couldn't drive, sit, sleep, touch etc. :evil:
Saul
μ-stuff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic