www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Another Natural, Live Mantid Stack (54-images)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Another Natural, Live Mantid Stack (54-images)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Another Natural, Live Mantid Stack (54-images) Reply with quote

Stagmomantis limbata - Taken with the Voigtländer 125 SL Apo-Lanthar Macro (single image @ f/4, approx 2' away)

Stagmomantis limbata - Taken with the Voigtländer 125 SL Apo-Lanthar Macro (54-image stack @ f/2.8, approx 9" away). Zerene Stacker, D-Map + P-Max touch-ups.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are nice images, I really like the first however, as it gives one a good idea of the size of the critter. Smile
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!

So exactly what magical powers are you using to get 54 images of a live critter, sat on a wobbly leaf, attached to a waving stem? I've been trying handheld stacks (albeit smaller bugs) and haven't even made it past first base yet Sad
Troels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your pictures of living animals in their natural surroundings.
A difficult discipline.
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Ramos wrote:
Both are nice images, I really like the first however, as it gives one a good idea of the size of the critter. Smile

Thank you Smile

I like the first better as well ... and that is because, in viewing it again, the next day ... the colors are warmer.

Not only is the environment somewhat enchanting, but the warm colors breathe life into the image. By contrast, somehow the stack came out a little paler, color-wise. Will probably re-do the stack again with this in mind.

Beatsy wrote:
Lovely!
So exactly what magical powers are you using to get 54 images of a live critter, sat on a wobbly leaf, attached to a waving stem? I've been trying handheld stacks (albeit smaller bugs) and haven't even made it past first base yet Sad

Lol, well, to begin with, I do not hand-hold Smile

In fact, trying to hand-hold 54 images, at a 1/10 shutter speed, would be impossible Smile

I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.

Also, the leaf of this shrub is actually not wobbly, but fairly stiff. The time was around 6:30am, so the air was still, and moist too. So there was no breeze affecting the image. It was a calm, cool, serene early-morning.

I have found when trying to "catch and pose" mantids to be very difficult. They are alarmed by being handled ... and so they move a lot. And they keep moving, which causes their antennae move more rapidly, and their abdomens move more rapidly (as they're breathing harder from constantly moving).

By contrast, it is much easier to stack them when you come to them, discovering them in their own chosen (frozen) position.

This is especially true when it's cooler in the morning, before the sun comes up. Discovered mantids, in their natural habitat are much more subdued, their antennae move less, as does their abdomen, etc. ... hence a better stack Smile

Troels wrote:
I really like your pictures of living animals in their natural surroundings.
A difficult discipline.

Thank you, but its an enchanting one Smile
Beatsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnKoerner wrote:
...I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.

Awww! Now the magic is gone...

Thanks for the explanation though. I guessed it would be something like that. But you never know on this forum - apparently-superhuman feats occur quite regularly Smile

Guess I'll just have to get up even earlier and try to catch 'em cold(er). Thanks again.

Cheers
Beats
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatsy wrote:
JohnKoerner wrote:
...I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.

Awww! Now the magic is gone...

Thanks for the explanation though. I guessed it would be something like that. But you never know on this forum - apparently-superhuman feats occur quite regularly Smile

Guess I'll just have to get up even earlier and try to catch 'em cold(er). Thanks again.

Cheers
Beats

You bet.

And, indeed, some jaw-dropping images for sure.

Cheers back
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmed the little feller up Very Happy
Artiii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Smile

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arthur_katrancioglu/
tpe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes very nice.

Tim
anvancy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a shot! the feel is amazing.

Its sad that we dont usually get such weather to do live stacking. Tropical climate in India is always windy,or light breeze.

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.
JohnKoerner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artiii wrote:
Very good Smile

tpe wrote:
Yes very nice.
Tim

anvancy wrote:
what a shot! the feel is amazing.
Its sad that we dont usually get such weather to do live stacking. Tropical climate in India is always windy,or light breeze.

Thank you for the nice comments, all Smile

There is plenty of wind out here too (not sure if as much as India), but the amount of wind varies with the weather + time of day.

Depending on the camera system you have, and the ISO ability, try to find some S/S + ISO setting that allows you to stack. I have found that an f/4 aperture allows most live magnification ranges (1:1 - 4:1), permitting enough light, while not suffering from any diffraction.
davholla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JohnKoerner"]
Ken Ramos wrote:

Also, the leaf of this shrub is actually not wobbly, but fairly stiff. The time was around 6:30am, so the air was still, and moist too. So there was no breeze affecting the image. It was a calm, cool, serene early-morning.

Nice shots I guess that for countries like the UK someone would have to be up a lot earlier to get similar conditions (I think sunrise is about 40 minutes earlier here).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: