Sheep Ked Fly

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Sheep Ked Fly

Post by gpmatthews »

Wild M8 microscope. 7 image stack in Zerene.

Slide is 19th Century fluid mount by A Cole, recently acquired on eBay. Image adjusted for colour balance to compensate for yellow mounting fluid. Background cleaned up.

The slide is labelled "Sheep Tick", but in fact this is a wingless fly and a common sheep parasite.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Nice clean shot. It looks as though the ked was cleared and then mounted with pressure. After that, transferred to a fluid mount. Do you think my guess is correct? This is a rather unusual mount and a good addition to your collection. What label is on the slide?

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

My image makes the specimen look a lot flatter than it really is. Unfortunately I have yet to take enough images for a stack that will render a pair of stereo images, but the specimen is in fact noticeably 3D and not flattened. The fluid cell is quite deep. Thankfully the bubble does not get in the way
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Your epigram "Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different" is an apt one. I have been fooled by the stack!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic