Nikon D7000 to AO One-Fifty...

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

eric dolphy

Nikon D7000 to AO One-Fifty...

Post by eric dolphy »

hello

a beginner asks about image capture using either the D7000 attached to the AO, or, attaching an objective to the DSLR...

someone mentioned using this intermediate set-screw adapter (between AO and camera), attached to the DSLR via an M42 ring:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OG ... UTF8&psc=1

or, purchase an objective, and mount it to the camera (to the Nikkor lens), without the AO 'scope...

what are the trade-offs between each method...? for the second approach, please list the items needed...

thank you...

zzffnn

Re: Nikon D7000 to AO One-Fifty...

Post by zzffnn »

eric dolphy wrote: for the second approach, please list the items needed....
I like that smart question. A bit lazy on your side though :twisted:

You would learn more and save money, if you do lots of internet search, research and reading, when you are a beginner. Your question has been partially answered in FAQ:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=12147

Please tell us what your budget is, if you want a more specific answer. And do you know what on sensor magnification you would be using? Do you looking at microfossils without cover slip or under cover slip?

If you don't have answers for the above questions, I would suggest you stay with your approach #1 and use your current AO150 microscope, with objectives no more powerful than 10x NA 0.25. Maybe add an AO 2.5x infinity objective (for screening sand particles and micro fossils), if you can get one for less than $50.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

eric dolphy

Post by eric dolphy »

object: image capture of insects...

regarding the budget, whoever has the time to cite low-to-high options for a suitable objective...

zz: I posted here because I felt that this site might have a greater number of experienced members--so as not to impose on any one participant...

I'm aware of the fact that you provided answers to several inquiries at the other forum--and, thanks again for your time and expertise...

however, please let someone else have a go at it...I have been reading articles on the topic, yet direct insight from other forum members is also sought: both/and...

again: please 'assist' someone else...

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

eric dolphy wrote:object: image capture of insects...

regarding the budget, whoever has the time to cite low-to-high options for a suitable objective...

zz: I posted here because I felt that this site might have a greater number of experienced members--so as not to impose on any one participant...

I'm aware of the fact that you provided answers to several inquiries at the other forum--and, thanks again for your time and expertise...

however, please let someone else have a go at it...I have been reading articles on the topic, yet direct insight from other forum members is also sought: both/and...

again: please 'assist' someone else...
I cited that FAQ because it has a very complete part list and specific names for you to search (to obtain prices). There are $17 very good 4x objective and $1000 excellent Mitutoyo 7.5x objective - adaptations for those two are very different. If your budget has no limit, go with the later and follow the path using Mitutoyo infinity objectives.

Edit: here is an example horizontal stacking rig for insects: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=34605

Tradeoffs between imaging methods depends on what your subject of interest is. I mentioned microfossils in sand, because you have it in your profile interest and you asked previously at the other forum. For insects, imaging can be completely different - you can go without a microscope.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic