The rotifer Stephanoceros fimbriatus in DIC

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Tom Jones

The rotifer Stephanoceros fimbriatus in DIC

Post by Tom Jones »

This is only the third Stephanoceros I've ever seen. I was checking the specimen prior to an outreach event at a local high school. When I found it, I had to scramble to set up the camera, shoot the video, and then haul my other gear to outreach event on time!

The video was shot, processed and uploaded in 4K, so use the highest resolution you can to view it. It does make a difference.

I used an Olympus BHS, SPlans, DIC, and a Panasonic GH4 camera. Intermediate optics were a U-PMTVC (0.3x) and an NFK 3.3x projection lens resulting in nearly the equivalent to direct projection.

Tom

Video link: https://youtu.be/mqZns4wo0AQ

Frame grab video preview:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

How the heck did you do that??? Such smooth pans, such beautiful light. I loved the way the tentacles jerked around when they sensed a cell floating nearby. I am astonished. And doubly so since you said you did this "on the fly". I bet you are great at outreach.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Outstanding Tom, excellent video too.

-JW:

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Lou, Smokedaddy - Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Lou - On the fly, so to speak, might be misleading here. This is edited. When I shoot with the GH4, I usually let the camera keep running while I investigate the subject, then edit it after the fact. The camera's HDMI out goes to a full HD 27" monitor, so I can see what I'm getting all the time. I've found that waiting until I see something I want to capture, then starting the camera, caused me to miss a lot. Editing does take a lot of time this way. Another benefit is verbal notes. Since the camera is always running, I can comment on anything, magnification, subject or whatever, and it goes directly into the video synced perfectly, so it will always be available in the file. I just turn off that audio track during the final edit. Very handy.

In 4K, letting the camera run, a 64GB card will last from about an hour to an hour and a half depending on what compression is doing. The batteries last a bit longer, so changing batteries at the same time I change cards works pretty well. The camera breaks the video down into about 5 minute files, generally without frame loss. The last frame from the first file is followed by the first frame of the next file. The raw files I shot here total about thirty minutes. Since the final video is 3:30 long, almost 90% wasn't used.

The smooth pans here are from careful use of the X-Y stage controls. I have built a couple of glide stages for smooth video panning, but didn't have one set up for this. The lighting is just the result of the Olympus DIC, but it is pretty!

Tom

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks for the details, Tom. I'm in awe.

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

SUPER!!!

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Very nice

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

That is one really nice micro video!

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Thanks everyone! It certainly is a fascinating creature to watch. The Hematococcus (I think) on the left by one of the arms, is the first one I've ever found as well.

Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic