Another Natural, Live Mantid Stack (54-images)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnKoerner

Another Natural, Live Mantid Stack (54-images)

Post by JohnKoerner »

Stagmomantis limbata - Taken with the Voigtländer 125 SL Apo-Lanthar Macro (single image @ f/4, approx 2' away)

Stagmomantis limbata - Taken with the Voigtländer 125 SL Apo-Lanthar Macro (54-image stack @ f/2.8, approx 9" away). Zerene Stacker, D-Map + P-Max touch-ups.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Both are nice images, I really like the first however, as it gives one a good idea of the size of the critter. :)

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Lovely!

So exactly what magical powers are you using to get 54 images of a live critter, sat on a wobbly leaf, attached to a waving stem? I've been trying handheld stacks (albeit smaller bugs) and haven't even made it past first base yet :(

Troels

Post by Troels »

I really like your pictures of living animals in their natural surroundings.
A difficult discipline.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

Ken Ramos wrote:Both are nice images, I really like the first however, as it gives one a good idea of the size of the critter. :)
Thank you :)

I like the first better as well ... and that is because, in viewing it again, the next day ... the colors are warmer.

Not only is the environment somewhat enchanting, but the warm colors breathe life into the image. By contrast, somehow the stack came out a little paler, color-wise. Will probably re-do the stack again with this in mind.

Beatsy wrote:Lovely!
So exactly what magical powers are you using to get 54 images of a live critter, sat on a wobbly leaf, attached to a waving stem? I've been trying handheld stacks (albeit smaller bugs) and haven't even made it past first base yet :(
Lol, well, to begin with, I do not hand-hold :)

In fact, trying to hand-hold 54 images, at a 1/10 shutter speed, would be impossible :)

I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.

Also, the leaf of this shrub is actually not wobbly, but fairly stiff. The time was around 6:30am, so the air was still, and moist too. So there was no breeze affecting the image. It was a calm, cool, serene early-morning.

I have found when trying to "catch and pose" mantids to be very difficult. They are alarmed by being handled ... and so they move a lot. And they keep moving, which causes their antennae move more rapidly, and their abdomens move more rapidly (as they're breathing harder from constantly moving).

By contrast, it is much easier to stack them when you come to them, discovering them in their own chosen (frozen) position.

This is especially true when it's cooler in the morning, before the sun comes up. Discovered mantids, in their natural habitat are much more subdued, their antennae move less, as does their abdomen, etc. ... hence a better stack :)

Troels wrote:I really like your pictures of living animals in their natural surroundings.
A difficult discipline.

Thank you, but its an enchanting one :)

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

JohnKoerner wrote:...I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.
Awww! Now the magic is gone...

Thanks for the explanation though. I guessed it would be something like that. But you never know on this forum - apparently-superhuman feats occur quite regularly :)

Guess I'll just have to get up even earlier and try to catch 'em cold(er). Thanks again.

Cheers
Beats

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

Beatsy wrote:
JohnKoerner wrote:...I use a tripod, macro rail, Live View, and a remote switch to trip the shutter.
Awww! Now the magic is gone...

Thanks for the explanation though. I guessed it would be something like that. But you never know on this forum - apparently-superhuman feats occur quite regularly :)

Guess I'll just have to get up even earlier and try to catch 'em cold(er). Thanks again.

Cheers
Beats
You bet.

And, indeed, some jaw-dropping images for sure.

Cheers back

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

Warmed the little feller up :D

Artiii

Post by Artiii »

Very good :)

tpe

Post by tpe »

Yes very nice.

Tim

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

what a shot! the feel is amazing.

Its sad that we dont usually get such weather to do live stacking. Tropical climate in India is always windy,or light breeze.
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

Artiii wrote:Very good :)
tpe wrote:Yes very nice.
Tim
anvancy wrote:what a shot! the feel is amazing.
Its sad that we dont usually get such weather to do live stacking. Tropical climate in India is always windy,or light breeze.
Thank you for the nice comments, all :)

There is plenty of wind out here too (not sure if as much as India), but the amount of wind varies with the weather + time of day.

Depending on the camera system you have, and the ISO ability, try to find some S/S + ISO setting that allows you to stack. I have found that an f/4 aperture allows most live magnification ranges (1:1 - 4:1), permitting enough light, while not suffering from any diffraction.

davholla

Post by davholla »

JohnKoerner wrote:
Ken Ramos wrote:
Also, the leaf of this shrub is actually not wobbly, but fairly stiff. The time was around 6:30am, so the air was still, and moist too. So there was no breeze affecting the image. It was a calm, cool, serene early-morning.
Nice shots I guess that for countries like the UK someone would have to be up a lot earlier to get similar conditions (I think sunrise is about 40 minutes earlier here).

JohnKoerner

Post by JohnKoerner »

davholla wrote: Nice shots I guess that for countries like the UK someone would have to be up a lot earlier to get similar conditions (I think sunrise is about 40 minutes earlier here).
Possibly, I don't know.

I know it "gets light" here around 5:30 am ... but "sunrise" isn't until 6:00 am.

Still, there are a lot of areas which stay shaded up until 7:30-8:00am.

But 5:30am - 6:30am are the best times here for cooler/slower/moister air.

Take special note of your unique location, as your mileage may vary :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic