New to Macro.

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroLens

New to Macro.

Post by MacroLens »

Hello everyone and I appreciate any feedback I can get on a tripod setup. I posted this in the equipment area and then found the beginner thread at the bottom.

I have been lurking around for a day or two; and found this site while trying to find information on the Berlebach Tripods. The Velbon Slider is also something I found referenced here as a quality entry level instrument.

First off what I have and plan on doing with this setup. Pentax K1 and D FA 100 MM Macro lens. Both are recent purchases to start shooting a little of everything but I bought the lens obviously to shoot a lot of macro. I have a cheap Sunpak 7000 Tripod and a Sigma DP2 Merrill with a few filters that I use to shoot with as it is so easy to carry. I primarily take pictures walking though park trails and our occasional family get together once or twice year. I really enjoy shooting flowers and bright vegetation the most and do take the occasional water shot of creek beds and falls.

The price I have to start out with is roughly $350.00. Items I am considering so far are:

1- Manfrotto 190 series tripod. Aluminum as the Carbon Fiber is a bit over my price point.
2- Manfrotto Traveler.
3- Benbo Trekker Tripod.
4 -Berleback Mini Tripod large size.

6-Velbon Super Mag Slider.
7-Giottos MH 1302 Head with MH 655 Quick release.

My main questions is should I go all in on a Manfrotto setup, if so which, and then just buy the slider to go with it. Or buy Manfrotto legs and get the above head and slider?

Is the Benbo anyone here would use for macro?

Is it worth getting the wood Berlebacch? This with the head and slider would be a little over my limit on initial cost. Is it worth it?

Is there a tripod I missed that is the price range of a 190 but better for macro field work?

A little more on me. I am 59 years old so keeping weight down is also a premium. One lens, one camera, one tripod setup. All this coming in at 8 to 12 pounds total is what I am looking for initially. I have purchased three books on this subject as I have a solid understanding of aperture, ISO, shutter speed. DOF etc...but different techniques is something I need to practice.

I appreciate all the input I can get and look forward to reading what experienced Macro Photographers here recommend.

MacroLens

Post by MacroLens »

I just ordered the Berlebach Mini, large size. Cost with shipping is $204.83.
I ordered it with the 3/8" thread and 1/4" adapter comes with that.
Also ordered the spiked feet/rubber feet combo.

I will keep researching heads and sliders until the tripod is on its way. I am thinking a week to get here at least. Any help on the above would be appreciated. I also know from reading I need to eventually invest in some lighting.

If anyone has a setup and/or experience using Berlebach Tripods, your input would be greatly appreciated. Given its small size and weight, I think this could turn out to be a great light field setup. I am definitely excited!

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I just noticed you double-posted,. As it's all about equipment, we'll keep everything
there:-
http://photomacrography.net/forum/viewt ... 772#214772
Chris R

Locked Previous topicNext topic