Is Lens Duplication Recommended at a Given Magnification ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

JohnDownie

Is Lens Duplication Recommended at a Given Magnification ?

Post by JohnDownie »

Since there is a fair bit of variance with regard to lens quality, any given sample might be poor or, just not very good. For a newbie, does it make sense to get a second lens that duplicates the magnification range, to at least have a second point to compare?

Addendum: I was thinking about lenses that don't go to infinity, and that are higher magnification, where it is more difficult (I have assumed) to judge performance.

TIA
Last edited by JohnDownie on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deanimator

Re: Is Lens Duplication Recommended at a Given Magnification

Post by Deanimator »

JohnDownie wrote:Since there is a fair bit of variance with regard to lens quality, any given sample might be poor or, just not very good. For a newbie, does it make sense to get a second lens that duplicates the magnification range, to at least have a second point to compare?

TIA
I suppose it might if you're a business or institution and you're being paid to achieve the maximum quality possible.

I could barely afford one Tokina 100mm macro lens. An identical copy would be out of the question for me.

It's strictly a question of what's important to you and how much you're willing to spend.

I certainly wouldn't criticize somebody for doing it, but I won't be buying duplicate lenses any time soon.

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

I have tried to clarify the question, I was thinking about higher magnification >2X, non-infinity-capable lenses when I wrote the question.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Yes if you choose carefully.
There's a number of cheap "pretty good" options at several magnification points, like "known" sub $20 4x objectives.
There was an unbranded Chinese one recently mentioned. There's also a Lomo 3.7x NA 0.11. I just bought one for £12.50.
A new Nikon BE 4x NA 0.1 is about $50.
If you want to do better, eg a 4x NA 0.2 at many times the price, a reference point is very comforting.

Be careful. I bought a 50mm EL Nikkor, then found I already had one from printing days. I compared them and was surprised. Then another one came along cheaply, which beat both, then.... I found I had about 20 50mm f/2.8 enlarger lenses. :roll:
Chris R

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic