A new photomicrography imaging system that will do it all

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

A new photomicrography imaging system that will do it all

Post by svalley »

I have been doing some research into imaging systems that are flexible enough to perform all the different types of macro and photomicrography that I would like to do in the lab. All the way from stacking for large insect specimens to single cells, protozoa, etc. This package looks like it will do it all. The price is high but it's just money, right?

http://www.visionarydigital.com/index.html
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Okay gang, I am taking donations. Come on help the poor impovrished Appalachian mountain kid. :roll:

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< am taking donations >>

Where's the PPal button? ... I've just found 2p down the back of the settee :)

You'd think for that amount of money they'd get the camera model correct wouldn't you?

pp

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Well, the quality of a web site is often out-of-sync with the quality of the product it portrays. ("Out-of-sync" can cut both ways, of course.)

Given the amount of near-custom equipment that's in these systems, the advertised price doesn't actually seem very high to me. Fact is, I'll bet it goes up substantially when you start spec'ing a system that's "comfortably equipped", as the car manufacturers so delicately put it.

What does surprise me is that I can't find stacking explicitly mentioned anywhere, and I don't see any images in their gallery that strike me as requiring it. Surely they're providing software that integrates with all their motor drives, but then why aren't they calling that out front and center?

Or did I just miss it? :?

--Rik

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

It uses the Infinity K2/S Long Distance Microscope. Link below to some technical info on that particular component.

Technical Info
http://www.infinity-usa.com/downloads/O ... el_K2S.pdf

K2S Pricing Info
http://www.infinity-usa.com/downloads/p ... del-K2.pdf

Craig

svalley

Post by svalley »

The web site quality has improved since I first started looking at their products, after I contacted them with a list of questions about technical specifications. The web site has only been up about 2 months and it clearly was not designed by a pro.

The system does have stacking capability and includes Helicon Focus Pro software. The CamLift can move in 6 micron increments in the Z-axis and can be modified to 3 micron increments. I don't know why they don't even mention stacking in their web site. It seems to me that this is one of their most important capabilities.

The lighting system includes capabilities for transmitted and reflected lighting with 6000K modeling lights. The actual exposure is made with 6000K electronic flash with adjustable output. The modeling and flash are integrated, so what you see with the modeling is what you get with the flash.

My interest in this system is personal because I am going to have access to one. The product does seem to have some exciting possiblities and looks like it will handle a fairly wide range of applications.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Sounds great. Do you know whether Helicon Focus Pro is integrated with their system -- having direct control over the motors and maybe getting some of the reconstruction done while the scan is being taken? Or do they use separate software for image acquisition and then just feed the collection of image files to HF?

--Rik

svalley

Post by svalley »

As far as I know the image acquistion is handled by their camera software (Adobe RAW?) and then the images are processed with Helicon when the stack is complete. The stepping and capture process is not automated, but each step is activated by a single button click. The DSLR is tethered to the computer and the view is live on the monitor.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

About 4 or 5 years ago, before I got involved in microscopy I was looking for fiber optics with electronic flash for my tabletop macro. I spoke with Mr. Larimer at that time, as his company (Microptics) had a unit that looked great ("ML-1000"...looks just like the "Visionary Digital FX2"). It was out of my price range. (BTW Mr. Larimer is really "into" amber and amber inclusions!)

Just over a year ago, I contacted Microptics to see what the current price was. (From Oct, 2006):

>>Base price for the ML1000 w/2000 watt power pack is $7995. Focusable
>>light guides (2 pack) are $1000.00, standard light guides (3 pack)
>>$750, LX Locking arms in weighted or magnetic configuration are
>>$375.00 per piece.

Unfortunately, still too pricey for me. I see he has started a new company and has some additional new products.

I have kept an eye out for automated stacking hardware. Check out these links:

http://www.saphicon.com/motorized-lift.htm
http://tofrainc.net/focus-drive-integrated.htm
http://tofrainc.net/focus-drive-integra ... cktool.htm

A minor, but nice note for Canon users... the Saphicon (Tofrainc) acquisition software can be had integrated with Canon's RemoteCapture. Also note the "resolution" possible in each step. I've been playing around with a 20X objectives on bellows (and occasionally a 40X), and I think that if I were setting up an automated vertical stand it would be nice to have "step" resolution at least down to 2 micron. (Granted, this is at the extreme end of what I would do "macro" before going over to a compound scope).

The K2 LD microscope is something I have looked at with great curiosity! I've never talked with anyone that has used it, but ist sure looks nice. So Steve... if you get your hands on one, give us a thorough report! :wink: :wink:

svalley

Post by svalley »

Charley, I will definitely let you know how it works when I get a chance to play with it. I think it will be sometime after the first of the year.

I only have this info 2nd hand, apparently Roy Larimer sold Microptics, but then part of the deal fell through. He felt they were selling inferior products and that it was hurting his reputation so he started the new company. He has been a real pleasure to work with, in my experience, and very knowledgeable about high res digital macro imaging.

Out of curiosity, what step resolution do you need in the compound scope range? Were the exquisite images that you posted a while back of bee and other insect legs done with the 20x & 40x objectives on a bellows? I was really hoping to explore that magnification range with this system.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Steve,

I have been trying various microscope objectives (on bellows and/or rigid tubes) with the thought of moving more of the 12-30X shots off of the compound microscope and onto a "tabletop" macro setup. While the precision of the compound scope is greatly appreciated, the access to the subject (for positioning and background control) and the room for playing around with different lighting configurations is limited. As far as any shots I've posted in this forum, all shots done on the compound scope are in the "microscope" section, and the others are posted in the "macro and close-up" section.

While I prefer to arrive at the "step" distance that works best through some testing and studying the actual images to be stacked, this page provides a pretty good guide for the DOF obtained, and can be useful in determining the step increments:
http://www.microscopyu.com/tutorials/ja ... index.html
With the 20X objective I use on the bellows now (NA 0.40), I shoot the stacks with a 3 micron step increment.

The automated focus drive in the links I gave above could be used on both my compound microscope and the "macro" setup I now use. So far I am not too bothered about doing it manually, but it is very tempting!

Charlie

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

I received a reply from Roy Larimer at Visionary Digital in regard to the 'focus stack' aspect of the BK Plus Lab System.

"The BK and BK plus imaging systems both use a combination of compositing software and the P-51 Cam lift.
The P-51 is programmable as to the “slice thickness” and also comes with pre set positions that match the depth of field of the objectives that are available with the system. There are also a number of user definable settings that allow you to create your own step movements to accommodate any lens you use either micro or macro.
The system comes with compositing software that is very fast, accurate and easy to use. It also takes advantage of multi processor CPUs like the type used in the BK and BK plus systems."

The FX2 Lighting System and the Solmate have me significantly intrigued.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic