Social Mites

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

svalley

Social Mites

Post by svalley »

These Mites, Stigmaeopsis longus (I think) live together in a complex web covered "nest" on the underside of bamboo leaves. They even have a separate spot where they all poop. I was lucky that the 2 large ones in the image sat still while I shot the stack. There were dozens of small ones that were zooming around the whole time. These 2 were about 0.5mm long. I tore a small hole in the web to expose the inhabitants.

Leica MZ16 stereomicroscope w/extended depth of field imaging system.
Stacks processed with ImagePro software.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Lately you have shown us some great pictures of most interesting arthropods, Steve. Thanks much for sharing! And more, please!:D :wink:

Your "MZ16 w/extended depth of field imaging system", is this the motorized version of this nice instrument? (I work on an M10 and MZ7.5 occasionally, and they are great!) "Imaging system", does this mean a software is moving the scope with the motorized drive in fine increments, samples the pictures along the z-axis and stacks them, and all you have to do is to select the frame/view at the beginning? I would love to have this! :D

Best regards,
Betty

svalley

Post by svalley »

Betty, yes the MZ16 has the stepping motor and it is controlled by the software during the acquisition of the stack. That part of the process is very easy. Lighting is the tricky part of the process and it seems to be different for every subject. Getting a clean composite from the stack, without atifacts can also be quite a challenge.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic