Curly (ID and new image added)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Curly (ID and new image added)

Post by Beatsy »

Quite striking antennae I thought. It's getting late here so I''l take more shots and attempt an ID tomorrow. FoV is about 6mm wide.

Last edited by Beatsy on Tue May 09, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Such nice three-dimensional lighting! Love it.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Very nice. Please share technical details. Any plans regarding stereo version ?
Thanks,
Saul
μ-stuff

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks guys.

I think this is a Spider-Hunting Wasp - Cryptocheilus comparatus.

Image above is a stack of 120 images taken with a 5x Mitty at about 3.5x onto the sensor (running APS-C crop mode). Two Trond flat-panel LED lamps positioned top and right front with the top one quite a bit further away (just giving a fairly bright fill light). Extra diffusion is provided by a cut-up ping pong ball surrounding the subject - the shape and arrangement of that can be seen reflected in the ocelli (the front of the mitty is visible too).

Picture below is a 300-image stack done with an MP-E 65mm @ 1x, also APS-C mode. I cropped a little off the edges so the FoV of the final image is about 20mm wide. Lighting was similar to the first image, albeit using a larger, cut up dome-diffuser in place of the ping pong ball. Same effect though. The whole thing is staged with the insect held over the piece of wood by an ent pin coming in from the rear. The grass background is a separate image, blurred and (somewhat crudely) dropped in. I should have used a green background for the wasp stack to get a better edge blend (I used black again). Lesson learned.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Well, that is a very good arrangement! I agree that the background is a bit busy, but oh well.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

Artistic shot. Love it.

Can you please share or provide photo details of the diffusion setup that you used for this?

I read your reply in some other post that the light should not hit the background in order to achieve natural all black background.

I recently purchased 3 Janso LEDs and am working out the diffusion methods.

Thanks
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

anvancy wrote:Artistic shot. Love it.

Can you please share or provide photo details of the diffusion setup that you used for this?
Hi Anvay - I replied to your PM on this. There's a couple of diffuser setup pics here.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=31894

Cheers. Beats.

hayath

Post by hayath »

Incredible close-up! Those antennae do look fancy, the light and details help showcase that beautifully :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic