Golden tortoise beetle

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ultima_Gaina

Golden tortoise beetle

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I'd love to see this a bit bigger, would that be possible?

Even our forum limits allow it, about 2x if you don't mind cropping some of the black.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very nice. This is a challenging beetle with lots of potential for glare, yet you have no specular reflections at all.

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

ChrisR wrote:I'd love to see this a bit bigger, would that be possible?

Even our forum limits allow it, about 2x if you don't mind cropping some of the black.

Here you go: twice the size, slightly cropped:

Lou Jost wrote:Very nice. This is a challenging beetle with lots of potential for glare, yet you have no specular reflections at all.
Thanks! I still wonder if there is a way to eliminate the reflection of the black flocking, wrapped around the objective.
Last edited by Ultima_Gaina on Mon May 29, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

And here is a frontal view of the same goldbug:

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

ChrisR wrote:I'd love to see this a bit bigger, would that be possible?

... and here is a 100% zoom on the dotted pattern above the head. We can also observe the scales on that cool, transparent, tortoise like, protective shield.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ultima_Gaina wrote:I still wonder if there is a way to eliminate the reflection of the black flocking, wrapped around the objective.
Are you looking at the "black hole"? If so, then be aware that's not the flocking, it's the inside of the camera, seen through the front of the lens. The only way to eliminate that is with some sort of axial illumination using a half-silvered mirror or the equivalent. At low magnification, you can get away shooting through a sheet of glass, with illumination bounced off the glass. See for example the illumination system used at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15820 .

--Rik

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

This must be its reproductive organ.

I had two of these beetles in a jar. To my surprise, despite being in captivity, I found them in a copulatory position.
I carefully tried to release them from the penis captivus situation, but I'm not sure if the organ really remained intact after extraction.
Last edited by Ultima_Gaina on Mon May 29, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

rjlittlefield wrote:
Ultima_Gaina wrote:I still wonder if there is a way to eliminate the reflection of the black flocking, wrapped around the objective.
Are you looking at the "black hole"? If so, then be aware that's not the flocking, it's the inside of the camera, seen through the front of the lens. The only way to eliminate that is with some sort of axial illumination using a half-silvered mirror or the equivalent. At low magnification, you can get away shooting through a sheet of glass, with illumination bounced off the glass. See for example the illumination system used at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=15820 .

--Rik
Thanks Rik, this is very interresting but rather complicated to build. I guess I'll survive with the "black hole", for a while :wink:

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

... and a 10x magnification, detailing the eyes behind the transparent edge of the shield:

<---------------------------------------------------2.2mm--------------------------------------------------------------->

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic