Experience with Schneider 90mm f/4.5 APO-componon HM?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Davids

Experience with Schneider 90mm f/4.5 APO-componon HM?

Post by Davids »

I haven't seen much on the forum about this enlarging lens. Was curious about it's performance as a close-up lens.
Any input would be much appreciated!

David

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

It is pretty good - I will try dig up some test photos...
nathanm

RobertOToole

Re: Experience with Schneider 90mm f/4.5 APO-componon HM?

Post by RobertOToole »

Davids wrote:I haven't seen much on the forum about this enlarging lens. Was curious about it's performance as a close-up lens.

David
Ray has featured this in a couple of his shoot-outs he has posted here over the years.

There are two optical version of the SK 90mm f/4.5 APO-Componon.

One is called the Macro lens APO-Comonon 4.5/90-0025 the other is called the Line Scan lens APO-Componon 4.5/90-0018. The are optimized for different distances/magnifications.

The plain macro version is sold in 3 different style housings. The BLV-L, the enlarger type housing, the B-V or V-mount industrial housing, and the plain BL metal housing. The Line scan version comes with the B-V but with a deep hood.

I own the Line Scan version of the SK 90mm but I haven't had much chance to use it unfortunately.

Hope this info helps. Let me know if I can help with anything about my 90mm.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Davids wrote:I haven't seen much on the forum about this enlarging lens. Was curious about it's performance as a close-up lens.

David
Just found this on my computer! I forgot I had it :-)

Looks like the Line Scan version of the SK-90 is listed under high resolution lenses and has a much better optimization for close-up work.

The normal SK-90 is rated for 0.17x with a 0.5x - 0.04x range.

The Line Scan version 90 is listed as having a nominal ratio of 0.3 x and a range of 0.20x - 0.40x.

What a difference!

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

David
A few more notes on the SK-90 lens, Line Scan version.

The label on the lens reads; Magnification area 0.2x to 0.4x and reversed 5x to 2.5X!

It is also labeled with a best azimuth red dot marking, like the Macro Varon, for optimum orientation to the sensor.

The Line Scan version is actually cheaper on the Schneider optics site than the plastic enlarger housing 39mm mount version, $1154. vs $1187!

https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommer ... 3&IID=6249

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommer ... px?CID=174

This is what the Line Scan SK-90 looks like:

Davids

Post by Davids »

Robert,
Thank you for all of this great information. The lens appears to be a good performer. If you ever have a chance to take some pictures with it, I'd love to see how they come out.

Thanks again

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Davids wrote:Robert,
Thank you for all of this great information. The lens appears to be a good performer. If you ever have a chance to take some pictures with it, I'd love to see how they come out.

Thanks again
I almost forgot that I had it so thanks for asking for the input. I was never in the market for one, but I stumbled on the auction on Ebay and it was cheap enough that I didn't want take the chance I would never see one again but I have seen them pop up from time to time since then.

I will make some time to make some images with it soon and share the results.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic