long horn bug

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ultima_Gaina

long horn bug

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

Any idea what is this long horn bug?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Only that it is a Hemipteran. Can't tell much from this view.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

MarkSturtevant wrote:Only that it is a Hemipteran. Can't tell much from this view.
Thank you!
Anyway, this not a good portrait.

I only realized too late that one of the antennae was stuck along the proboscis. Meanwhile the specimen decayed and I discarded it.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Insects only have one pair of antennas. Here hey are situated just in front of the eyes.

I guess the one long whip-like thing along the proboscis is in right place while its left counterpart has been bended backwards. A proboscis like this is formed by means of many different specialiced mouthparts fitting together.

Often when the insect dries or is physically disturbed, the parts of the proboscis can become separated.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

Troels wrote:Insects only have one pair of antennas. Here hey are situated just in front of the eyes.

I guess the one long whip-like thing along the proboscis is in right place while its left counterpart has been bended backwards. A proboscis like this is formed by means of many different specialiced mouthparts fitting together.

Often when the insect dries or is physically disturbed, the parts of the proboscis can become separated.
This is interesting. Thanks for the explanation!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic