www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Exposure Pentagon in Macro photography
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Exposure Pentagon in Macro photography

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anvancy

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Exposure Pentagon in Macro photography Reply with quote

I always had this question in mind specific to macro photography.
As we start to go at 1:1 and beyond, two new factors start to play a big role in how we photograph macro. So the trinity becomes a pentagon.

The effective aperture - Post 1:1, this plays a crucial role in two things. Actual depth and light loss. Because at say 2x your effective aperture is F24 instead of F8, you have to rethink how your light is going to hit and how sharp should be the photo.

Focal plane - this will decide how the overall image will look? After you have hit the proper working distance, any minute movements translates into major shifts in focus area/focal plane which in turn can ruin or make your shot. I have observed this when taking photos of insect eyes close. One minute jerk in the hand and the focus is gone somewhere else.

What I am also thinking is how these two interact with each other. I always thought when you are doing good macro range photos, the effective aperture affects in that focal plane and also causes the "circle of confusion" principle. I have to be precise how I am going to light the insect in that focal plane, with the effective aperture in play and at what angle.

This is all a random thought,but will like some expert views on this.

Anvancy

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail
MarkSturtevant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable enough. Not sure if you are including shutter speed in your parameters. Of course that effects things since one relys on a fast shutter speed to negate the effects of slight movements. But slower shutter is useful to recover compensate for light loss due to aperture and focal length.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: