Start of the Macrography

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

j1g4r

Start of the Macrography

Post by j1g4r »

Hello pros.

I tried to take few images with canon 1300d and kit lens 18-55mm reverse held without ring.

I do know that focus is the problem but as i said i held lens myself and i have no tripod.

I wanna know more tips.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Most people's first macro photos look like that.
  1. Get an off camera flash and a cheap flash bracket. Even a cheap manual flash will give you better results when coupled with a diffuser of some sort.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Get a set of extension tubes with contacts so that you can get closer AND control the aperture on your kit lens.
    • Get a used manual prime lens (anywhere between 28mm and 50mm) and a reverse ring that fits the camera body and the filter threads on the lens. This will allow you to easily set the aperture. These days, they practically give away old manual 35mm film lenses. I sometimes use the 50mm manual I bought with my Minolta XG1 back in '81.
  3. You have minimal depth of field because you're almost certainly shooting wide open. When you can get control of your aperture, use something on the order of f8, for more depth of field. With sufficient lighting, you can go to smaller apertures for even more depth of field.
The manual lens and reverse ring will probably be the cheapest viable solution.

I recommend that you practice on things that won't run away from you, like screws, coins, etc. When you get your focus, aperture and lighting under control, you'll be surprised at the results you get.

j1g4r

Post by j1g4r »

Deanimator wrote:Most people's first macro photos look like that.
  1. Get an off camera flash and a cheap flash bracket. Even a cheap manual flash will give you better results when coupled with a diffuser of some sort.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Get a set of extension tubes with contacts so that you can get closer AND control the aperture on your kit lens.
    • Get a used manual prime lens (anywhere between 28mm and 50mm) and a reverse ring that fits the camera body and the filter threads on the lens. This will allow you to easily set the aperture. These days, they practically give away old manual 35mm film lenses. I sometimes use the 50mm manual I bought with my Minolta XG1 back in '81.
  3. You have minimal depth of field because you're almost certainly shooting wide open. When you can get control of your aperture, use something on the order of f8, for more depth of field. With sufficient lighting, you can go to smaller apertures for even more depth of field.
The manual lens and reverse ring will probably be the cheapest viable solution.

I recommend that you practice on things that won't run away from you, like screws, coins, etc. When you get your focus, aperture and lighting under control, you'll be surprised at the results you get.
thanks a lot for advice. am getting reverse ring next week. so will practice with it. i it ok if i use diffuser with camera falsh only?

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

ok if I use diffuser with camera flash only?
It's well worth a try. Reflect the light with a sheet of white paper, rather than direct.
Chris R

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

j1g4r wrote:thanks a lot for advice. am getting reverse ring next week. so will practice with it. i it ok if i use diffuser with camera falsh only?
Google "DIY flash diffuser". You'll probably find 100+ examples of how to diffuse the on-camera flash.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic