Cheap UV screen for fluorescence ($10)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

johan

Cheap UV screen for fluorescence ($10)

Post by johan »

Just a fyi - this anti-glare flipdown shield for a car is a very effective and cheap UV shield for UV fluorescence microscopy - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172293336510? ... EBIDX%3AIT - I've just tested it with a strong UV torch and it cuts UV 100%. The easy install windshield flipper actually fits perfectly onto the front of a scope too - bonus!

The only proper UV filter I could find for scopes was one by nightsea - https://www.nightsea.com/products/stere ... e-adapter/ - and at $120 I wasn't going to pay that for a bit of plastic.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Johan, thanks for posting it, it may be useful for the growing number of members dealing with UV LEDs for fluorescence.

Did you cut it to adapt it to the microscope?
Pau

johan

Post by johan »

No need, it just clips onto the stage. That said it's the size of a windscreen visor so I may cut it at sometime in the future.

My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

jnh

Post by jnh »

Nice find. Thanks!
It actually seems to come with two shields, one for daytime and one for nighttime use (in their intended application). Do they both work?
The equivalent item on the eBay US site has two shields that are yellow and gray (grey?), with the gray one being for daytime (presumably UV blocking) use. But you seem to be using the yellow one.

johan

Post by johan »

jnh wrote:Nice find. Thanks!
It actually seems to come with two shields, one for daytime and one for nighttime use (in their intended application). Do they both work?
The equivalent item on the eBay US site has two shields that are yellow and gray (grey?), with the gray one being for daytime (presumably UV blocking) use. But you seem to be using the yellow one.
Just tested - the gray one cuts out about 90%, the yellow one cuts 100%. This is by shining a MTE UV torch through it to a piece of bleached paper.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Doesn't that cause a lot of aberrations sat between specimen and objective? Presumably it's only useable at low powers and LWD? Thanks.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I think it's between his microscope and his face ;)
Chris R

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Oh I see now. Thought it was being used as a barrier filter in the light path. Doh! :oops:

johan

Post by johan »

Yeah it is, it's just a face protector. Like real fluorescence microscopes have :)

Smokedaddy

Re: Cheap UV screen for fluorescence ($10)

Post by Smokedaddy »

johan wrote: I've just tested it with a strong UV torch and it cuts UV 100%.
Since I'm still learning and trying to understand, I've never worked with UV yet, I don't understand how you test something like this Mind explaining?

-JW:

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

ChrisR wrote:This sort of way, Jim
:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33433
Thanks Chris ... I have a complete fluorescence setup, just haven't used it yet. I'm still reading trying to play catch up. Lot's to learn, even the simple stuff like this.

-JW:

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

Hi. FYI. Bought this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti-Gl ... 0.0.sry3yF

Looks identical to yours photos, but totally non UV protective. Beware.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

:evil:
I've just tested mine with the Convoy S2 Nichia 365nm LED torch and it just diminishes a bit UV, so not useful at all for protection. Sunglasses, protection glasses and even my reading glasses do cut UV and this crap shield doesn't.

Johan, please re-test yours. Mine seems identical (bought at Ebay for $4.78 ) to yours and to MacroLab3D's and it was promoted as "...Visor Anti-Glare Blocker UV..."
We are speaking about safety.
Pau

johan

Post by johan »

We must have different products, mine works perfectly! I'll upload a movie later to show you guys.

Here you go, movie at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw7IoEkWgis
Tested with same Convoy torch - cuts it 100%

You guys are using the yellow one right, not the grey one?!! Grey one is hopeless
Last edited by johan on Fri May 05, 2017 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic