flatworm?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mtuell

flatworm?

Post by mtuell »

I was looking at some fish tank water last night, and found this rather large specimen - maybe 3 mm stretched out. This shot is brightfield with a 4x objective. I'll look for other decent shots. So, does anyone know what this is, or offer some pointers for details to look for? I've got higher magnification shots, too, if I know what part of the critter to look at.

Thanks!
Mike

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... planaria?

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

I'm pretty sure this is aeolosoma

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Last edited by Smokedaddy on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Curt,

I think you may be onto something here! I'll have to read about them, but the photos sure look familiar!

Thanks!
Mike

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

You're finding all sorts of interesting things in your fish tank!

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

Hi Mike,

I had a small colony of them in my fishtank several years ago. I even took a video of one. They have fast moving cilia on the underside of their heads. I believe its to filter and collect food. If you watch the video you'll notice it has a belly full of cilliates. I'm not sure if you have a dark field condenser but they look great in dark field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbpCxlJ6r6Q

mtuell

Post by mtuell »

Curt,

Thanks for the video! Very nice!

I just got a 40x Hoffman objective (finally! :P) , so I was all set up for HMC, but this shot was brightfield. I'll put up some of the HMC stuff I got when I get a chance. I got some video, too, but maybe not as nice as yours. I think you said you slowed him down by not letting him cruise around in water - well, I didn't do that, so he was pretty mobile!

If I ever find another one of these guys, I'll definitely try DF! :D

Mike

curt0909

Post by curt0909 »

HMC will be a nice addition. I'll look forward to seeing your images with that setup. In my video he was slowed because of the water thickness. It was pinching him quite a bit. They're too fast in 'open water'. I'm sure there are more in your tank. Look on the walls of your tank near the bottom. You can see them with your naked eye. I use a cut-off pipette to suck them up and put them on the slide.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic