Any idea what this is?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

davholla

Any idea what this is?

Post by davholla »

It was so small (0.5mm) that I only saw it while looking for something else - it was Canon MPE+Teleconverter, a shame about the background camouflaging it a bit.
Image UnknownEF7A2904_01 by davholla2002, on Flickr

tpe

Post by tpe »

Very interesting, it looks like some kind of acari or red mite. But it also looks like it has something on its back, possibly just random debris, or a fungus (cordyceps? was it still moving or dead?). The way the debris is there reminds me of the way some insects camouflage them selves with debris from their dead victims, but not sure that has been seen in mites!

davholla

Post by davholla »

tpe wrote:Very interesting, it looks like some kind of acari or red mite. But it also looks like it has something on its back, possibly just random debris, or a fungus (cordyceps? was it still moving or dead?). The way the debris is there reminds me of the way some insects camouflage them selves with debris from their dead victims, but not sure that has been seen in mites!
It was moving, although not too fast. Getting the debris and body in focus at the same time - and of course it was moving too fast for a stack.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice image -- very tough to capture in situations like this!

The debris also looks like it might be a shed skin.

--Rik

davholla

Post by davholla »

rjlittlefield wrote:Nice image -- very tough to capture in situations like this!

The debris also looks like it might be a shed skin.

--Rik
Thank you, I took loads of photos but none were that great. 4.0 Magnification of a different subject is so much sharper. I tried different apertures by the way and f10 seemed the best in the field.
ImageMite by davholla2002, on Flickr

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic