www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Printing Nikkor vs Schneider Macro Varon?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Printing Nikkor vs Schneider Macro Varon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davids

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Printing Nikkor vs Schneider Macro Varon? Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with both of these lenses? I realize that the printing nikkors come in different focal lengths but am curious how they compare to a macro varon from .5x-1.5x .

Thanks!

David
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently purchased a 85mm Macro-Varon, and own both 105mm and 95mm Printing-Nikkors, but have not made any tests yet comparing them. I plan the tests but so far other priorities have stood in the way. Maybe will test them head to head within the next couple weeks.

A more true comparison may be the 150mm Printing-Nikkor, older version, with magnification optimization adjustment ring like the Macro-Varon, but I don't own one of these. I can say that in my limited testing so far, the mag adustment on the Macro-Varon does indeed have a strong effect in optimizing the lens, primarily for coverage. It seems quite sensitive to the adjustment.
nathanm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The printing nikkor 105mm A version that I have is awesome within the range of magnification I use it at (roughly 0.75X to 1.5X)

... alas I don't have experience with the Macro-Varon.
nathanm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - what does the macro varon cost? The web sites that I have seen are all of the "price on request" variety.

The specs seem quite spectacular https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/industrial/MacroVaron%20Brochure.pdf.

Also, it seems that Schneider- Kreuznach also has a set of other lenses that are designed for 16K line scan sensors for machine vision. These have a range of focal lengths including the 50mm Micro-Symmar, and the 96mm or 97mm Xenon-Sapphire. Anybody know about these lenses?

While I still love the printing nikkor, the idea that there are modern lenses made for industrial purposes that might beat it is plausible. The macro varon sales literature claims it has a "continuous aberration suppression" system. One certainly should be able to design and manufacture better lenses today than in the 1960s-1970s when many of the greatest macro lenses seem to have been made.

I use a large sensor (PhaseOne) which has a 67 mm diagonal. All of these industrial SK lenses seem to have a 62 mm image circle, which probably means they are not for me in any event - I would lose the corners. On the other hand that might be SK being conservative. The MTF is so ridiculously flat out to 62mm compared to most lenses that the corners might be better than most other choices.
Davids

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan,
I received a quote today from a distributor of this lens -the price is just as spectacular as the specs - $4,241. Sigh.

I know that it was offered on ebay at one point by one of the members on this forum, but I have a feeling it will be hard to come by used.
nathanm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 120mm SK macro lens for phase one is $6500 and is nowhere near as good as this one. The 120mm P1 lens is autofocus, which is useful primarily because of the built in stacking feature in the phase one body. Which is handy when on location.

I would still think more than twice myself, first because of the image circle and the fact that I already have a printing nikkor that is great in this same range of magnification.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern would be the aperture. It is more than a stop smaller than that of the Printing Nikkor, which should be sharp wide open. If both lenses are diffraction-limited wide open (or at one stop down), then the resolution of the PN should be significantly higher than that of the Macro Varon. Of course that's a big "if" which needs to be checked in real life.

Last edited by Lou Jost on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of two forum members who have both a Macro Varon and a Printing Nikkor. Hopefully, one or both will weigh in, if they've had a chance to do side-by-side comparisons.

Recently, I had a shot at Macro Varon. I passed because, like Nathan, I'm very pleased with my Printing Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 in this magnification range. And in the absence of empirical testing, did not care to chance the money that the Macro Varon was better. While testing a Printing Nikkor for a forum member, the quality of this optic was obvious. I quickly saw that I "needed" one of my own, and soon after, bought one. For whatever it's worth, my specimen at 1x is best stopped-down half a stop from wide open.

Of course, if the Macro Varon tests significantly better than a Printing Nikkor, I'll regret this decision.

--Chris S.
ray_parkhurst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris S. wrote:
I know of two forum members who have both a Macro Varon and a Printing Nikkor. Hopefully, one or both will weigh in, if they've had a chance to do side-by-side comparisons.

Recently, I had a shot at Macro Varon. I passed because, like Nathan, I'm very pleased with my Printing Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 in this magnification range. And in the absence of empirical testing, did not care to chance the money that the Macro Varon was better. While testing a Printing Nikkor for a forum member, the quality of this optic was obvious. I quickly saw that I "needed" one of my own, and soon after, bought one. For whatever it's worth, my specimen at 1x is best stopped-down half a stop from wide open.

Of course, if the Macro Varon tests significantly better than a Printing Nikkor, I'll regret this decision.

--Chris S.

Both my 105PN and 95PN (both A versions) are at their best at f3.3, so the 85MV can't beat them for performance at their optimum magnifications. However, their performance falls off outside their narrow range of optimization, so if you are shooting at 0.7 or 1.4, perhaps the 85MV can have a shot at them. In fact, this is precisely why I bought mine, since I shoot Cents at M=0.7 on APS-C, and I was hoping for a lens that could be optimized at that magnification.
nathanm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my pn 105 A at 3.3 because of your tests, and it is wonderful.

I am very curious about how the macro veron compares at 0.5, 0.7 etc, so I hope you get a chance to post your observations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: