Suitable base for expansion?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Any info on parts compatibility between LOMO and Zeiss West? Thanks.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I have the Zeiss Standard manual. PM me with your email address, I'll send you a copy.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Here you have several manuals of the Z. Standard and other related models:
http://www.science-info.net/docs/zeiss/

I've collected all Zeiss manuals I've found over the years at the net and even I've scanned few ones myself but the most important are available at the former link
zzffnn wrote:Zeiss Standard needs modification to accept short LOMOs....
I wouldn't recommend at all to try such modification: raising the stage like zzfffnn did with his Labophot can be easy but raising the condenser rack will be almost impossible and increasing the condenser height with precision only could be done for some condensers and not without issues, you would need to make custom machined parts...
Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

zzffnn wrote:
Any info on parts compatibility between LOMO and Zeiss West? Thanks.
I don't have any specific, the lomo sellers always mention Zeiss as well. I suppose they could be talking only about Jena, but having looked at many parts online, they seem almost carbon copies of Zeiss west. If I'm completely wrong... :cry: Oh well.

Pau,
I shouldn't have too big a problem with raising both the stage and condenser. Once I have the scope and take it apart, making risers should be pretty straightforward. I can basically duplicate the condenser holder ring and fit the centering screws to it. I'd attach it directly on top the same height as the stage riser. For the stage, I'd just make a mounting plate that duplicates the original shape, drilled through with longer screws.

I don't see any big issues with either piece.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Gary, it depends of your abilities and facilities to do precision metalwork. I have none of them and I need to go to a professional machinist, not cheap!

Some Zeiss condenser models have non removable dovetail, with them it's not just about shims and longer screws...
Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Some Zeiss condenser models have non removable dovetail, with them it's not just about shims and longer screws...
Thankfully, the dovetails are on the condensers, not the holders. As long as the holder section is duplicated at the same dimensions, the centering screws will still hold the condenser in place in the riser, same way the standard holder does. My precision is good enough to replicate it. I may also add a Pancratic condenser at some stage so it'd need modifying then as well.

The only thing I may need to buy apart from some screws will be a tap for the new centering screw holes in the riser/ adapter if I don't have one already. I think I have M5 and M6 but no idea what thread they actually use.

I might be missing something. I can scribble out a drawing to show my intention then we'll know if we're addressing the same issues.

This is fun already! :D

GaryB

WOOHOO!!!

Post by GaryB »

Just won an ebay auction for a Zeiss standard 14 :D

Yes it's a beater and needs a little work, but it is (mostly) complete. Light works, stage works, 3 Zeiss objectives 10, 20 and 40, flip top condenser, mismatched eyepieces, one is Kpl, one is Cpl but both are 10x 18. The head dovetail needs a slight repair but I'm not gonna complain for $150

Aaaah, finally getting my Zeiss, it's gonna be sooo much fun 8)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic