www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Questions about cross-polarizing microcircuit dies
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions about cross-polarizing microcircuit dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olympusman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Questions about cross-polarizing microcircuit dies Reply with quote

When I set up a microcircuit die on my scope, I always drop inna polarizer to see what if any effect has on cross-polarization of a microchip. Sometimes the effect is negligable and sometimes the effect subtley enhances the colors on the chip. However, at times the cross-polarization effect is far too profound as shown in this test series.

This is the die in normal unpolarized tungsten light.

This is the same die with what I consider normal cross-polarization - not too heavy and not too unfortunate if you don't mind viewing through the popular Grape Soda filter.

This is the strongest cross-polarization. In the CMOS microscope software, this represents almost mass extinction of the image -- the gain had to be jacked up hugely and the image is almost all noise.
The question is - what accounts for these variations from sublety to almost useless image enhancement?
Is it the substrate of the die or is the fact that the acid process used to expose the die from its package destroys the passivation of the die?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With typical linear-polarizing filters, short-wavelength light is polarized less efficiently than long-wavelength light. So when you are near extinction, in highlights the stuff that gets through is going to be grape-juice-purple.

Circular polarizers sometimes have other color casts in highlights. I don't know why.
GaryB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, the third one looks pretty awesome to me!
Olympusman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Cross-polarization Reply with quote

The polarizing filters in my metallurgical microscope setup are definitely linear, since they are cut from a sheet of polarizing film.
The difference between a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer is that the circular filter has a quarter wave filter built-in. This is to prevent problems with metering and autofocusing systems in electronic based cameras.

Mike
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured they were linear. Those always make purple in specular highlights, for the reason I gave above.

I would like to understand the physical reason why circular polarizers sometimes give other color casts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: