www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - New to the forum and a total beginner in close up work!
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New to the forum and a total beginner in close up work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCarRob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: New to the forum and a total beginner in close up work! Reply with quote

Firstly, hello everyone! My name is Robby and I'm totally new to this type of photography but have been a fan for quite a while. My gear consists of an entry level DSLR, a Canon Rebel T5 (1200D) with the kit lens and a 75-300mm that came as a package deal. I also have a set of extension tubes that I bought recently, a tripod, focusing rail, and a remote shutter triggering system. Not much really but for someone just dabbling into this world on a limited budget it's what I have to work with. I'll post my best shot so far below (f4.5, 1/50th, ISO 640, 29mm on the 18-55mm kit lens with the 12mm extension tube. Stacked 19 images with Helicon and adjusted the basics). CC is always welcome:

ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Robby Smile

That's a pretty good start. Lack of equipment needn't be a hurdle to having fun, or making great pictures.

For example see this thread about reversing a kit lens:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96553#96553
That gives a very wide range of magnification. It depends a lot on the particular kit lens, but is well worth a try. You'll lose your electrical connections, though.

A plain flash and some sheets of paper, would be good for most lighting purposes.

Supplementary (close-up /diopter) lenses are also good, because they're relatively cheap and don't lose you your controls. With eg your 300mm at 6", or 2" from the lens, you get quite a close view.
There are lots of ways to go in whatever direction you fancy, for say under $100. There will always be someone on the forum who's tried it before.

Happy snapping Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Macro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: