Diatom Book

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Diatom Book

Post by Smokedaddy »

Anyone happen to own this book? Was wondering your thoughts if you own it. Plus if you know of an excellent Diatom book. I am aware of Schmidts Atlas.

https://books.google.com/books?id=WUibA ... mp&f=false

-JW:

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Yes, good book. It can be confusing at first as it shows very few example species from each genus (sometimes only one). So you may not find the exact diatom you're looking for, but this is a really good way of learning the distinguishing features that get you an ID down to genus level. The taxonomy is a bit more up to date than Schmidts too, but diatom taxonomy is an utter mess and no book is fully up to date. Latest names and classifications are scattered across thousands of academic papers that would cost $millions to buy (if you could find them).

Olympusman

Diatoms from Space

Post by Olympusman »

Diatoms for me are overwhelming. But an interesting research project that was written aout in the December 2013 issue of InFocus, the Procedings of the Royal microscopy Society in which electron microscope stubs were launched into the atmosphere with balloons. Particles were found at high altitude that had no business being there and some exhibited diatom like frustrules.
Makes me think of the opening sequence of the remake of "invasion of the Body Snatchers."
The author is Milton Wainright at m.wainright@sheffield.ac.uk

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic