Any new plans for this spring/summer?

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Any new plans for this spring/summer?

Post by Beatsy »

Anybody planning on trying something new, or starting a longer-term project this "season"?

For me, it's a lot more field macro work with handheld stacking in the mix. I hope what I see/learn from the field work will help to improve my setting of (very) small insects into natural poses for studio macro too - a skill that eludes me right now. Even when I finally do wrestle their legs from under them (without pulling them clean off), they still don't look quite right. Of course, this entails actually catching some insects first, so the bug-catching and storage gear I acquired over winter will be getting its first-time use too. Gonna be busy, busy, busy - but happily so... :D

So that's my new plans. How about yours? Keen to hear what others intend to get up to.

abpho

Post by abpho »

I'm building a self contained automated macro rig. I am waiting on one item to be delivered. I still need to get all the brackets I need machined. And I still need to source out a supplier on drive gears and drive belts. And in not sure what radio to get.

The exchange rate, and shipping and duties is killing me.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'm working on coupled lenses. But I now have a distraction at the other end of the magnification spectrum--our foundation has been given a fancy Inspire 1 drone with an MFT interchangeable-lens camera, so I will often be off photographing mountains and forests.

johan

Post by johan »

Officially made redundant last week so assessing options for the future, no doubt prodded along violently by Mrs Johan who wants me back in an office ASAP. Prompted me to try doing a workshop and seeing what else I can do macro wise. Hopefully no more than a couple of months out of work, so time to catchup on some other overdue stuff like building a base for my microscope and so on and playing with some alternative lighting ideas.
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Sorry to hear about the layoff johan, happened to me a couple of times :(

I'm determined to find a decent water supply for subject hunting, pond river, lake and then have a small fishtank to grow as much icky sludge as I can to keep me occupied with water life.

Looking at google maps, I think I may have found a potentially rancid little waterway that might suffice. I'll be checking it out soon :D

With luck, also a new (old) microscope to fix up over the next couple of months.

davholla

Post by davholla »

johan wrote:Officially made redundant last week so assessing options for the future, no doubt prodded along violently by Mrs Johan who wants me back in an office ASAP. Prompted me to try doing a workshop and seeing what else I can do macro wise. Hopefully no more than a couple of months out of work, so time to catchup on some other overdue stuff like building a base for my microscope and so on and playing with some alternative lighting ideas.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you find something better soon, the lighting ideas sound interesting.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Also sorry to hear about the redundancy Johan. Hope something turns up quickly, if only to save you from the "violent proddings" of Mrs Johan!

I'm always surprised how many people like to go on photography workshops (at a cost of hundreds a day) when they could learn everything using the web and sites like this (and lots of practice of course). But it seems many prefer to be led along the path rather than strike out on their own. And there's the attraction of social interaction too, I guess. So I think your workshop idea is rather a good one! I'm sure you'd get plenty of takers, not least because of your excellent web site.

Good luck.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

I passed my good wishes some weeks ago.. Been there, it's not nice.

Project for the summer -?
I've been wondering whether "my room" has a floor, other than a narrow path to the desk.
Chris R

banania

Post by banania »

Johan, life is short go for your dreams!

I know it is not that simple, just my way of reacting to your lousy news.

For the summer I am waiting for all the snow and ice to go away. I have painted a host of water color aquarelles which I intend to use as backgrounds and want to spend the spring, summer and autumn waking up at dawn and riding out with my bicycle and photographic gear and spend the early mornings photographing whatever I may find. like flowers, insects and other weird stuff.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I forgot my most important spring project: describe 16 of my new species of orchids of the genus Teagueia. This is why I have been learning about microphotography and why I read this forum; I need to make frame-filling publishable images of tiny 2mm-15mm translucent decade-old orchid specimens submerged in alcohol. This week I got the last of my photographic tools for doing this. I'll report the photographic results on this forum.

Johan, I am sure that with your skills you'll find or make a good niche for yourself.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I have a few new sites in my region that I plan to visit. New places not far from home still often turn up new species.
I am also building a higher power lens kit that should take me into 3:1 and maybe 4:1 territory. I just need one more threaded adapter to come in from Hong Kong. Then I will commit to buying the lens (most likely the Canon 40mm pancake lens, which is very sharp).
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

abpho

Post by abpho »

I definitely want to see your kit and images once you are done Mark.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

anvancy

Post by anvancy »

For me this season is a comeback in macro photography.

My job was in a different state than my hometown where the camera is. Its been a 5 1/2 years long gap between me and the MPE. I am waiting for the monsoons to start(India.) so that I can start to polish my skills and present the results here.

Anvancy
www.anvancy.com

Raynox 150|Raynox 250|Raynox MSN 202|Canon MPE 65mm|Canon 100mm.|Wemacro Rail

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

abpho wrote:I'm building a self contained automated macro rig. I am waiting on one item to be delivered. I still need to get all the brackets I need machined. And I still need to source out a supplier on drive gears and drive belts. And in not sure what radio to get.

The exchange rate, and shipping and duties is killing me.
What's weird is not everyone is!
Fred H.

piczzilla

Post by piczzilla »

I'm revising my field lighting system (trying to use an additional flash unit). And now that I've learnt about stacking (thanks to all the generous info on this forum), I'm keen to try it with my handheld shots. :D

That said, unfortunately Spring/Summer won't be arrive in my part of the world until later this year, so I'll practice as much as I can with everyday objects and get ready for the crawlies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic