Sharing information is most awesome thing.

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroLab3D

Sharing information is most awesome thing.

Post by MacroLab3D »

Newbie come here read all topics, got all gear took his photo and now what? Nothing wrong about it? He used knowledge available free to educate himself reading priceless info here and now he making his photos as good as pros here do. Is it ok?

I feel like i am stealing from pros. I feel guilty. Some genius invented something original in his technique, immediately other members ask him what it is and he gladly share this with others. This is amazing to me. Internet as a whole amazing. How lucky we are living here and now?

But in same time i feel greedy. I don't want to share. Because it's mine now! How i am supposed to compete with others if i will share MY technique? How you do it, guys?

-Oleksandr

abpho

Post by abpho »

Hello. Yes, this is a great site and there are some very knowledgeable people here. You'll share when you are ready. :) We will be waiting.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

But in same time i feel greedy. I don't want to share. Because it's mine now!...
This reminds me Gollum character of The Lord of the Rings :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting dilemma!
Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I see it is now almost 6 years since I wrote: "The community is working well. We're making progress much faster as a group than we ever could individually, and folks seem to be having fun doing it."

I think this is still true, perhaps more now than ever.

You asked:
How i am supposed to compete with others if i will share MY technique? How you do it, guys?
The trick is to think "community", not "competition". Then the problem goes away!

We each contribute what we can, the community prospers, and we all benefit as individuals at the same time.

Win-win. :smt023

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

As an old guy, I still sometimes pause at my keyboard and reflect at how now people can just chat, share and discuss anything online to other people from all over the world. All while sitting at our desks, living rooms, and coffee shops.
Everything is awesome!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Me too Mark. Your first words were relevant too - many of us are retired, more or less.
What's the point of going to our graves knowing all sorts of useful stuff? I doubt one can cash it in..

Isaac Newton kept his considerable discoveries about optics to himself because he didn't want his competitors to know about them. He published late in his own life, after they'd died.
He was nuts though. He investigated his own eye pressure by poking the eyeball with a stick until it hurt, and measuring the distance :shock: .
Chris R

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

I ran a free dial-up BBS (Bulletin Board System) way back in 1988 which eventually evolved into a International dial-up network using a Frontend program and mail packets. Many greenbacks later, the Network and BBS died in 1997 once the Internet became somewhat popular and more available. Anyway, the goal was to develop interactive user discussions related to AutoCAD, AutoDesk products, RayTracing (Vivid) or any other CAD software packages at that point in time. My personal focus was answering AutoCAD support questions and application programming (AutoLISP). I always thought it was odd when I called Architectural and Engineering firms or attended local AutoCAD user groups to promote our network and they always said, "Why would I want to share information with everyone." <g> Personally I appreciate places like this and those willing to help others. That's what makes the world go round in my book. Hopefully someday I will have something of value to contribute here.

-JW:

Olympusman

Sharing

Post by Olympusman »

As Rik pointed out, we are a COMMUNITY - and a global community at that. Not only do we share our techniques, but we also know that when we want to find something out, we know that we can ask our fellows and rely on their GENEROSITY. I don'tthink I have ever experienced such huge generosity on any other forum.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Give up the goods or you sleep with the protozoa... :shock:

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

Thank you all for your replies. I read them all.

I am long time fan of the "Venus Project", and today i was watching latest interviews with Jacque Fresco, and i was thinking of you guys and i see how you cheating the system by playing against rules. Yes you losing your money but you becoming more humans compared with those in the system. I dream about the future where no need for money, no need to worry about patents and all all other "usual" staff we now forced to obey to survive. And i suddenly got this today - you said to yourself "what a hell we don't want to wait no more lets be more humans today!". This is why you so poor, guys. This is why you not making money because there is no place for such thing in your better world attempt. You sharing information because this is the only way to increase "thinking power" of a men. It is faster to invent something together. Yes, but you not getting anything back(money, hot girls, etc). And this is the price for this relative freedom. Ability to be more human.

Also i see relation with bugs here too. How you all together came to same conclusion about sharing. Hanging around in nature you less "consumer" and more part of the planet, you have time to think about such staff while hunting for nice photo shot. You see how we all related, all beings and how we should respect every single part of this world in all variety of forms, because we all equal and we all as a whole. You not average person because of this.

This is why you share.

Imagine whole world work like this? Smile Oh why it is so complicated with outdated things such as money and greed? I am as Ukrainian have daily examples which blows my mind. Few days ago one corrupt person(goverment worker) was released from court by $4M bailment (not sure if this is right word, sorry). This blows my mind. We have salary here $200 a month. Imagine how greedy those people. But this is only because it's our culture. Because girls like money. More money - more fun. Imagine if we have raised in different environment where no value in Yachts but in mind. Imagine how all will be pursuing for ideas instead of money.

This is what we need for better humanity!

-Oleksandr
Last edited by MacroLab3D on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

This is why you restrict advertisements too. This is just evil for you. Because you out of the system. And how strange some visitors looks to you who come here all blinking and flashing in gifs and you ban them immediately lol :))

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

It's not just here, there are plenty of others out there.

Great jumping point:

http://microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexma ... index.html

Harald

Post by Harald »

Yes, indeed its a great forum...
I share my knowledge with others, here on the forum and if people are asking me.

What´s the point of taking my knowledge to the grave?

The more you share, the more you get back....
Kind Regards
Harald

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic