www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Small beetle
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Small beetle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davholla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Small beetle Reply with quote

I have a small garden and although I am trying to make it more interesting (winter flowers etc). I don't get many new insects. Here is a small beetle that I saw for the first time the other day.
Tachyporus 3.36 Magnification size 3.4mm
Tachyporus by davholla2002, on Flickr.
Sadly a bit of reflection on it, I need to get some polystyrene in front of my speedlite to try to deal with this.
Beatsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch. That is an interesting looking beetle. Where in your garden did you find it? Just wandering about or under leaves or something?
davholla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatsy wrote:
Nice catch. That is an interesting looking beetle. Where in your garden did you find it? Just wandering about or under leaves or something?

Under some old newspaper I had thrown out to create a place for creatures to hide under (it was too messy to recycle).
GrayPlayer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Small beetle Reply with quote

davholla wrote:
I have a small garden and although I am trying to make it more interesting (winter flowers etc). I don't get many new insects. Here is a small beetle that I saw for the first time the other day.
Tachyporus 3.36 Magnification size 3.4mm
Tachyporus by davholla2002, on Flickr.
Sadly a bit of reflection on it, I need to get some polystyrene in front of my speedlite to try to deal with this.
Something as simple as a paper towel of Kleenex will work for a diffuser.
Lou Jost

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I think you could reduce the effect of the flare on that image just by playing with levels and contrast and maybe white-balancing in post-processing. For example (I hope you don't mind my playing with your image; if you prefer I'll remove it):

Of course this has reduced dynamic range and some noise; best to fix problems in the lighting before rather than after taking the picture, but you do have some room to play in post-processing.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Nature Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: