The Sani Project (III)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

The Sani Project (III)

Post by pbertner »

Follow the #SaniProject2017 on Facebook HERE: https://www.facebook.com/paul.bertner
------------------------------------------------------------------

Patience and the capacity to endure pain. Essential for both the rainforest photographer and this amblypygid. Several things came together in this image. Originally when I started photographing it there was just the hint of colour under the wings. I waited 2hrs (amongst hordes of mosquitos) for the whip spider to work its way around and through the wings to get a photo of the colourful abdomen.

Sometimes it's the small things that pass unnoticed by most that really complement, accent and make the image special. As these 2hrs were unfolding, and I was beginning to question my sanity, the smell of blood (I know, I know, it's haemolymph) in the air and possibly some droplets on the bark attracted some nearby ants. Normally this amblypygid would be snug against the tree trunk feeding, however, to do so here, would be an invitation to the ants. Thus it makes fully use of its long, stilt legs, and is at full stretch, which also allowed for more effective use of backlighting. Small ant in foreground, is just one in a small line.

Matters of size

Size is strength in the natural world. And yet, it isn't everything...Whilst one might think that the larger ant (Camponotus sp.) would displace the smaller (Crematogaster sp.), in reality, the smaller ants are able to outmaneuver their larger counterparts. Normally around rich resources like this extra-floral nectary (a rich source of sugars) produced by plants in order to encourage the protection of ants from harmful, sap sucking insects, there would be competition and conflict. And there is when it comes to other species. Here, an uneasy alliance has been made, and both ant species can be seen feeding and benefiting from this bountiful resource.

It's always worthwhile observing and taking your time with a subject. When appreciated and understood, their rich lives unfold and you can begin to observe behaviours and interactions. Other times of course you just get lucky. The seemingly unobtrusive little ant was just the first in the vanguard. Several minutes later after a pheromone trail had been established, a small contingent amassed and drove off the crab spider forcing it to abandon its spoils. Drama in the undergrowth! See more amazing #spidersofsani:

I could take a thousand photos of this frog (and I have) and under every conceivable lighting arrangement and still not do it justice. The Polk-a-dot treefrog (Hypsiboas punctatus) is another rainforest gem and one of my favourites amongst the #amphibiansofSani:

Show me a fungus, and I will show you under-appreciated beauty:

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

LordV

Post by LordV »

Wonderful stuff paul. I'm very jealous of the photo opportunities but not the discomfort :)
Brian v.
www.flickr.com/photos/lordv
canon20D,350D,40D,5Dmk2, sigma 105mm EX, Tamron 90mm, canon MPE-65

Troels

Post by Troels »

So beautiful pictures and interesting comments.

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Brian and Troels, always a pleasure for an appreciative audience.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Brian and Troels, always a pleasure for an appreciative audience.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Amazing photos and story! Thank you for sharing!
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I have come to really enjoy your beautiful pictures, and your commentary is also very well done. Thank you.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic