The Sani Project (II)

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

The Sani Project (II)

Post by pbertner »

Photographed for the Sani Project 2017, which can be followed Here:

First post and project background http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=33238

A few non-macros just to illustrate the project diversity - future posts to this forum will be macro only, but you can get your daily dose of diversity by following the project. Moderator can move if deemed appropriate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a case of the monday blues? Maybe this pygmy marmoset (Cebuella pygmaea) will help you get through your day. One of Sani lodges smallest mammals, and the smallest new world monkey, these communal primates are gumnivores, feeding on the tree sap of their host trees.

Pygmy marmoset

Squirrel monkey BW:

One of my favourite shots so far is of this beautiful Cocoi heron. I love common subjects. They give you a chance to experiment with different types of lighting and techniques and give you the opportunity to really showcase the species in a different way. Though thrilling, rare species encounters rarely yield such results. See more #birdsofSani:

The 'lobo del rio' or giant river otter is an apex predator in river and lake ecosystems. A supremely able hunter, we were lucky to see this one hunt, catch and devour 4 fish, one after the other, right in front of us:

Striated heron:

Filtered light from the setting sun presents additional lighting challenges. However, always worth the effort. Patchy light is something every photographer in the rainforest will have to learn to deal with. If you can incorporate it into your compositions, they will be all the richer for it, Leaf-mimicking katydid at sunset:

The size of a thumbnail, this juvenile frog (Amazophrynella minuta) faces big challenges before it will be large enough to fend for itself. One of the beautiful #amphibiansofSani.:

The Ithomiine butterflies (seen here) like the heliconiid butterflies flitting about the understory, are a splash of orange and black to advertise their toxicity, is one of the many sights visitors to #Sanilodge are sure to encounter. These butterflies have become one of the best known examples of Mullerian mimicry. This mimicry results in convergence of physiology between one or more organisms, each one toxic or otherwise undesirable. The larger the population with the same or similar traits, the faster the message can be perpetuated, thus reducing incidental/accidental mortalities by would-be predators. See more beautiful #butterfliesofSani.

Cockroaches, to most westerners, are synonymous with filth. However, the blattodea are a diverse, adaptable and fascinating order, not to be painted and tarnished with the same brush as a few isolated species (whose invasive introduction you can thank your forebears by the way). They can be beautiful, colourful like this Paratropes metae, and their role as detritivores in the rainforest is hugely important. These underappreciated and reviled insects will be the focus of an upcoming blog post.

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

Troels

Post by Troels »

Delicate food for dreams.

Troels
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Beautiful photos. I really like the Cocoi heron.

I'm impressed you were able to find a giant river otter at Sani! I only knew them from the other side of the Napo.

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks Troels and Lou.

Lou- They're not common on this side. Only seen them a couple times, usually when the lake levels are low. Got lucky and this one was right beside the Sani pier.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Stunning! I really enjoyed your pictures, and well crafted commentary. First rate!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

abpho

Post by abpho »

I love that otter.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic