The Sani Project

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pbertner

The Sani Project

Post by pbertner »

I have embarked on a 1 year long project in the Ecuadorian Amazon in Sani lodge, bordering Yasuni National park. The #SaniProject2017 is an effort to chart biodiversity, large and small, to raise awareness of this biodiversity hotspot, to help the local guides better appreciate and understand the microfauna that constitute the majority of the rainforest's biomass and simply to show the beauty of the tropics. If you'd like to follow the project, it is a cross-section of rainforest biodiversity. Mammals, birds, plants, flowers, fungi. If it crosses the lens, it's getting its picture taken! Can follow on my Facebook/Flickr page.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On location in Sani lodge. Sani lodge sits on its very own oxbow lake, Challuacocha:

A blue-eyed anole species:

The fungi, oft tread underfoot, rarely given a second glance can appear ethereal and haunting when given the spotlight (Xylaria sp.):

I grew up believing monsters weren't real...Amblypgyid (Heterophrynus sp.):

Leafcutter ants, always busy, one of the beautiful residents of the neotropics:

Scorpion under UV light:

Leaf-mimicking katydid:

Peanut bug (Lanternaria fulgora):

Amazon two-striped forest pit viper (Bothriopsis bilineata):

Anemone-headed caterpillar (Riodinidae):

Monkey frog (Phyllomedusa vaillanti):

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Nice office, hope your cameras hold up to the conditions.
Chris R

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Paul, that's wonderful! I used to live near that community in 1990-1991 and again in 1994-5, before the community made their own reserve. At that time community members worked in the La Selva and Sacha lodges, where I also worked. They eventually decided to run their own community ecotourism operation, to benefit their community. A wonderful project.

A similar story unfolded on the other side of the Rio Napo in the Anangu community, which now runs the Napo Wildlife Center. That project was founded by our boatman from 1990, who took it upon himself to learn all the birds, teach himself English, and become a world-famous guide.

I wish you well, and hope our paths cross while you are here. If you take a break, I invite you to visit our cloud forest reserves around Banos. We have a scientific station deep in the forest and you would be welcome to use it.

abpho

Post by abpho »

Wow. Envious. Wish I could be there. I could carry your pack on odd days between 0700-1317hr. Good luck on your expedition.

UPDATE: Following your flickr page.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Thanks guys.

Lou- Thanks for the invitation. Running on all cylinders right now and not a lot of down time. But hopefully I'll have a chance to come up for air and take a bit of a break, at which point it would be awesome to visit you. I haven't yet had a chance to visit that part of the cloud rainforest, just around mindo so far, so it would be nice to take advantage of that opportunity! What a wonderful place to live. Have you been in Ecuador since 1990 or did you fall in love and come back?

Cheers,
Paul

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Fell in love with it in 1990 and came back permanently in 1994. Best thing I ever did. Beware, it might happen to you too!

pbertner

Post by pbertner »

Throw in the love of a good woman and I'm sold!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's harder to find....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic