www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - New member - first test - Woodlouse Hunter
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New member - first test - Woodlouse Hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultima_Gaina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: New member - first test - Woodlouse Hunter Reply with quote

New member who lurked this forum for a while, trying to learn a few tricks.

Here is my first real test: a woodlouse hunter, found yesterday under a rock.

I'll appreciate your feedback.

Cheers!
Caddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Woodlouse hunter Reply with quote

Hello Ultima_Gaina,

Wow! When I first clicked on your post and the photo appeared I thought.....that's my photo! I recently shot an almost identical view plus dorsal and ventral views.

Your first test came out well with one item which may or may not be just my taste in colors. Unless you were going for the dramatic color scheme it appears too red in the spider body, even bleeding over into coloring the hairs and eyes for example.

Never the less, nice image.
For comparison and critique if you like, I will post my "Woodlouse" hunter but will place it in the "Studio" heading which is really where these type of set-up indoor stacking photos should be posted.

Looking forward to more great images.

Caddo
Beatsy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good test! Very interesting eyes (ocelli?) too, I've never seen them arranged like that before.
Ultima_Gaina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Woodlouse hunter Reply with quote

Caddo wrote:
Hello Ultima_Gaina,

Wow! When I first clicked on your post and the photo appeared I thought.....that's my photo! I recently shot an almost identical view plus dorsal and ventral views.

Your first test came out well with one item which may or may not be just my taste in colors. Unless you were going for the dramatic color scheme it appears too red in the spider body, even bleeding over into coloring the hairs and eyes for example.

Never the less, nice image.
For comparison and critique if you like, I will post my "Woodlouse" hunter but will place it in the "Studio" heading which is really where these type of set-up indoor stacking photos should be posted.

Looking forward to more great images.

Caddo

Thanks for the feedback. You are right, even if I like bright colors, these colors are too bright for this type of photography, indeed.

Now I really have to wait for the spring to get more tests done. It just started to snow in my area so.. no bugs for a while
Well... I'll probably spend more time tweaking my set-up.

Which, btw, here it is:
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to posting!

The image is excellent on technical grounds. I agree about the over-bright colors.

Your setup appears to use a DIY automated rail system. Of course we would be interested to hear more about that, preferably over in the Technique forum.

--Rik
abpho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Very Happy
Ultima_Gaina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing the pic made it into editor's choice on dreamstime Wink

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photo-close-up-woodlouse-hunter-male-spider-image85033935

Of course, I still have to sell it, however I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Btw, anybody else trying to sell macro and extreme-macro through microstock sites?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: